Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I'm having a bit of a problem with time machine. I just recently set up a new boot up disk to run OS X on a 256 SSD through thunderbolt on my 2011 iMac. Everything is working great but I'm having issues with my time machine backup....it keeps saying that I don't have enough space on my 2 tb hard drive. I'm thinking this has to do with the fact that i'm currently backing up my old spinner (where I have around 1.5 tb of data), all the old system files AND the new SSD.

Should I exclude all the non-data files on my old spinner in future backups and just backup the SSD system files instead?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Should I exclude all the non-data files on my old spinner in future backups and just backup the SSD system files instead?
You could exclude the system files on the old HDD to cut down some space, but that will only be around 15-20GB or so and not really solve your issue long term. It sounds like you just need a larger backup drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.