Set up airport network w/o base station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigj1955, Jul 13, 2009.

1. bigj1955 macrumors newbie

I saw the excellent sticky on sharing files with a PC - I need some help even more basic - I have an Imac running 10.5.7 and my daughter has a new Win Laptop - I have tried setting up a network and sharing my internet connection and it looks like all of the correct things have been done but the laptop can not connect to the Mac - it can see it fine but can't hookup -
    Thanks for the help

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    You need a router, check out the Airport express... :)

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, you can share an Internet connection with just a Wi-Fi-enabled Mac.

Though I haven't tried it from Mac to PC.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Interesting, do you have a link to some instructions?

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

why would he need a router, when OSX can create a hotspot from an ethernet connection? You have to setup to configure DHCP automatically, on the win computer.

6. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

sharing

I know (I have read abut) being able to share without a base station - just can't get it to work with this PC - do I really need to fork over more cash for another white box on/under my desk???

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Yes, that is what TS just explained, I was unaware of this. I'm sorry. :eek:

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The basic directions are here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8156.html

There are some limitations on shared networks like this, but it works for basic traffic like http (web surfing). If you want to do this for any length of time, a $30 router really honestly is a better solution than internet sharing, whatever combination of OS X and Windows you're using.

9. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

My bad bro. I must have been typing when Tallest was posting.

10. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

base station -

So what I'm understanding is that I can tweak it to work and just get the Internet connection or fork over $100 for an airport express and get the whole package (printer, file, etc...) ??? Or do I need the $179 extreme??

11. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

actually you should be able to setup printer sharing as well with the iMac. OSX can act exactly as a stand alone router, but with more options.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not really a tweak -- if you look at the directions, they're quite simple. There are limitations. The biggest one is that there's no access from the sharing computer (your Mac) to the client (the notebook) when the Mac is off or sleeping. The others are more limited and apply to special situations (like online gaming, etc).

The "ad-hoc" network (wireless sharing) will work fine for things like surfing the web, sharing printers and files on the Mac, etc. Although if you had an Airport Extreme, for instance, you could do other things like host files on a drive attached to the AEBS or a printer on the AEBS that doesn't need the host computer to be turned on.

Since you've gotten this far, you might as well enable the shared network, though and see what you think.

13. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

imac as base

Then I'm missing something - I have all the settings as they should be on the Mac - Internet sharing is checked with the airport option but the windows computer can't hook up (I hate windows - Haven't touched one of these in the 3 years since I go my Imac) - any further advice/links would be appreciated/

Thanks for the help so far-

14. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

install Bonjour on the Windoze comp? I know its a stupid question, but:rolleyes:

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think you should need Bonjour...

When you click on the WiFi icon in the system tray in Windows, do you see the name you gave your ad-hoc network? What happens when you try to connect? Does it connect but fail to give you access to the internet, or what happens or doesn't happen exactly?

16. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you asking me if it is on the windows comp?? - I have no idea - but I'll look - like I said I'm thankfully out of touch with windows...

17. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

windows see the network fine and asks for the password - but simply fails to connect - the tray icon shows nothing connected - when I open it thats when I see the network and can attempt a connection

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm... it sounds like something is not configured correctly on the Windows side. I'd try this for you myself but my iMac is boxed up right now....

EDIT: Two more things...

-- In a pinch, these networks tend to work more often without security. To figure out what the issue is, if you want, you should probably disable the WEP encryption or whatever the internet sharing setup offered you and then see if the notebook connects.

-- Also this is a general thing, but check to see if the notebook is running Windows XP SP2 or SP3. If it's running SP2 and your daughter doesn't have a specific reason not to upgrade, then SP3 honestly, in my experience, does much better at connecting to WiFi networks. I had all kinds of trouble on my EeeBox getting onto my WPA2 AEBS in SP2 and in SP3 I just clicked the button and it worked without problems.

19. bigj1955 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to sound so ignorant - but the laptop is brand new Vista - I tried tonight checking all the settings on it and I can't find any reason why it shouldn't allow a hook - the diagnostic test for 'association' failed but the only info it said was 'for an unknown reason' (Thanks Bill)

I have taken all security off the network on the mac side - just reread your post - I'm going to disable WEP and give it one more try before I pass out for the night....