Set up as new iPad or restore from back up?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nataliamck, Mar 14, 2012.

1. nataliamck macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2010
    Lisburn, Northern Ireland
    I have a quick question. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

I did backed up my iPad 2 before selling it and I will be getting the new iPad on Friday.

The only thing I want from my previous iPad are my Pages documents and contacts. All apps/photos/other things I don't need on my new iPad.

So, can I set up as a new iPad and back up only documents and contacts. Or can I back up from a previous iPad but choose what I do and do not want?

Hope this makes sense :-/
  2. phillyred79 macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2010
  3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    It is my opinion not to restore. I use exchange to sync contacts and calendars so that is not an issue - Cant you just email your pages docs to yourself? AFAIK you can not pick and chose what to restore, it's an all or nothing deal. I suppose you could restore and see how it goes and if it acts weird just restore and setup as new. Typically I don't like to restore to different hardware but that is just me.
  4. master-ceo macrumors 65816

Sep 7, 2007
    The SUN
    I think i'm going to set up as new and delete my backup. I need to purge my iPad and my macbook.
  5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    You lose so much app data and whatnot if you don't restore.

Honestly, I have kept my iPad pretty controlled. It is my iPhone that has a lot of old stuff. My iPad not so much.

Therefore, I'm going to do a restore and save headaches.
  6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Oct 3, 2010
    Portland, OR
  7. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

Jul 24, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    In my experience it is best to start fresh and not restore. That is what I do for my iPhones as well. The new device seems to perform better when not restored.
  8. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2011