"Set up as new iPad"? Why??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brijazz, Dec 31, 2011.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I just got my first iPad. Since I also have an iPhone and MacBook, I was already set up with iCloud. So, I set up my iPad without ever connecting it to my MacBook... contacts, bookmarks, etc. appeared via iCloud as expected.

Now I want to sync over some music, but noticed that the iPad wasn't showing up under "Devices" in iTunes. Thinking that I needed to do a wired sync before the Wi-fi sync feature of iOS 5 becomes enabled, I plug it in. It shows up as a device, but my only options are:

1) Set up as a new iPad
    2) Restore from backup (a backup of my iPhone is the only one listed here)

What's going on? Why isn't iTunes recognizing my iPad as one that's already up-and-running?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

iTunes>Summary Page>Check off box to enable wifi syncing with your iPad plugged into your computer.

3. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Can't even get to the summary... I'm only getting prompted to "set up your iPad". iTunes seems to think this is a fresh-out-of-the-box iPad. Here's what I'm seeing:

Attached Files:

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Set it up as a new iPad.

This won't erase anything already on it. It's basically a "Don't restore from an old device" option, not "Wipe this iPad clean and start fresh."

5. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Thanks, worked perfectly.