Set up as new or icloud backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjfeltham, Sep 25, 2015.

1. jjfeltham macrumors member

Really tempted to set up my new iphone as new rather than restore from icloud, just in case there are any glitches.
    What am I going to lose apart from text messages and photos?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Be prepared to lose the in-app data too (game progress, saved documents within apps). You could backup some, but not all.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...and all Health & Fitness data. Bought the Original iPhone and have NEVER setup one as new.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You will get a lot of different answers. I say restore from backup, and if you have problems then set up as new. No sense in starting from scratch if you do not have to.

On the flip side, sometimes it is nice to filter the crap. Get rid of apps you never use and only download what you really need. If you use iCloud or other cloud services for contacts, calendar, photos, etc starting as new is not really that big of a deal.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Unless you are having problems with your existing phone, do a full encrypted restore via iTunes. It is faster than the cloud and will restore everything right down to the order of your home screen.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

iCloud backups do just the same....just take longer. Unless of course you have 1gbps internet :p

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

"Longer" is an understatement.

The cloud will be hammered today so I am suggesting that if you have access to iTunes, USE IT!:p

8. r-m macrumors 6502a

I've restored from my 6 backup, to my 6s.
    I want to go "as new" but don't want to lose my year's worth of health data :-(

I want to go the "as new" route because my 6 was getting sluggish, delays opening apps, annoying imesage quick reply stutter, contacts not appearing for a second or two, and switching the phone on takes about 40 seconds compared to an "as new" 20 seconds.

I wish apple gave us a more customisable restore option - I'd love to be able to go as new, keep some app data, and health data. Ditch all the settings and other clutter.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

So it sounds like you already have your 6s. I noticed on my 6 it started dropping FPS with 9.0. How is the 6s running IOS 9?

10. r-m macrumors 6502a

I do have my 6s already.

I didn't notice that so much on the 6, but certain things seemed to freeze up for a split second and I guess general sluggishness? Switching apps would have a delay before I could interact and imessage notification quick reply lockup being the biggest issues for me.
    6s is nice and smooth so far. Running really well. and Touch ID in insanely fast.

11. Sarah Jones 799 macrumors member

Sarah Jones 799

Always setup new for me iron out any previous iOS bugs.

12. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

13. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I've always setup as new but this year with the Apple Watch I'll be restoring from backup so I can save all of my Watch & fitness data.