Set up as new, or restore from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlmitnick, Jul 1, 2010.

1. jlmitnick macrumors regular

So, my iphone 4 finally shipped, and i'll be getting it Tuesday!

Think I should set up as new, or restore from my 3gs backup? Looking through it, the settings don't bother me so much (I sync contacts/mail/calendar with google exchange), but I do have a lot of game saves that would be lost if I set up as new (unless there's a way to only port over app data)?

I love a fresh set up on a new gadget, but I have many hours into these games, some as much as 15 hours (Chaos Rings is an awesome game).

What do you think I should do? :)

2. kaelell macrumors 6502

good question, as far as I know restoring from a backup is the only way youll get to keep those saves. I would love to be prooven otherwise though as its a gripe I have.

3. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

I set up as a new phone, mainly because of my own OCD. :)

I read in another post that if you do restore from backup, it will work fine but to "reset all settings" to avoid artifacts or leftovers from the previous OS.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Did you upgrade to 4.0 and upgrade all of your apps? Is your 3GS stock with no mods or problems?

If so then restore your new i4 from your backup. Otherwise setup as a new phone.

Nothing to it. :D

5. cfink macrumors member

I am the exact same way - I start fresh everytime.
    I even took the time to restore the laptop that I'll be using for it...

I think my OCD is getting worse...

Fink :apple:

6. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

I've started fresh except for this time. I have to many photos, videos, and texts that I had to save. Restored from backup and everything was exactly as it was on the 3GS. It really didn't take much time at all.

It really depends on how much you want to save the game saves, etc.

7. jbennardo macrumors 6502a

jbennardo

Every time I get a new mac, I start fresh and don't use the migration assistant. There is usually some bug or reason why I'm getting that new mac so I don't want to pass the disease on to the new one. I keep them both running for a few weeks to make sure I didn't miss anything and it usually works out fine.

Same goes for my phone, I lost my text messages, that's about it. Maybe a high score or two. I kept my 3GS around for a week or so to make sure any lists or things were re-entered on my new phone, then I wiped and sold it!