Set up as New Phone but keep all SMS messages intact?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by SirithX, Jun 16, 2011.

1. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Is there a way to do this? I haven't set up as a new phone ever since I got my iPhone 3GS back in the day mainly because I love having all the SMS messages I've ever sent right on the device, but I want to set up as a new phone when iOS 5 comes out just to start from a clean slate. Is there a way to maybe ssh and copy the messages to paste back into the phone after I've set up as new maybe or some other solution?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

this would be a great idea, like on blackberry when you restored from a backup you could go "advanced" and just pick the things your want to copy to the device from the backup file

3. truncj macrumors member

If you're jailbroken, use the following instructions:

Use iFunbox to connect to your iPhone. Navigate to /var/mobile/Library/SMS. Copy everything from there to your desktop (sms.db, Parts, Drafts). After you install iOS5, select setup as new phone. Then re-jailbreak, connect with iFunbox and copy those files back.

4. SirithX thread starter macrumors 6502

SirithX

Aha, easy solution. Perfect, provided that my SMSs look exactly on my newly setup phone as they did in my backups. I'm assuming I can do the same exact thing with Notes in order to transfer my notes directly to the newly setup phone as well? I realize they sync with Mail too if for some reason that doesn't work.