Set up as new

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Asparagus Jones, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Asparagus Jones macrumors newbie

A bit of a newbie question here so apologies if it's been done before.

I have a iPhone 4s which i'd like to upgrade to iOS 8, once it becomes available for public release, and would like to set it up as new as i've read that this is the best way but am unsure what is meant by 'restore and set up as new'..

Does it mean restore before upgrading and if so how is this best done? Through iTunes or from the settings on the phone?

Apologies again for such a newbie request but could some of the more intelligent people out there possibly guide me through the process of restoring and setting up as new.. Thanks AJ :D

2. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

If you are going to wait for the update Wednesday, just install the update. Afterwards you can goto Settings > General > Erase all content and settings. During the initial setup, choose Setup iPhone as new, instead of restoring from a backup.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

1) Back up your phone to iTunes.

2) Find the backup in your MobileSync directory and rename it from UUID to UUID.2014-09-15 -- This will keep it from being overwritten when you back up after the reset.

3) Once the phone is backed up, Erase all content and settings.

4) Do NOT restore from iCloud backup. Just set everything up again manually.

You will lose pretty much everything that isn't stored in the cloud. This includes messages, call history, saved voicemails, progress in many games, app data, account settings, and so on. However, this is the POINT of starting fresh, to get rid of all the cruft that builds up over the years.

I don't recommend doing this unless you either have problems, or the phone is a bit slow and you haven't done it in several years. Upgrades normally work fine without doing this.

It's possible to restore app data using the backup you made and iExplorer. There's several tutorials online on how to do this.

4. Asparagus Jones thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick reply, it helped a lot :D

Again thanks for the quick reply, very easy to understand and follow directions and also for the warnings :D. The reason that i want to set up as new is, as you said, to get rid of all the excess that has built up over the years and to perhaps see if it would help battery life, speed etc (as the phone is getting on a bit).. Hope so.. :D AJ