Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2005
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/01/how-to-set-up-dual-band-wifi-and-juice-your-downloads/

Hi all,

over on engadget today was this article, setting up a dual band (for those that havent yet bought apples new extreme).

I have a question about doing this.

Here is my set up.

1 mac mini - ethernet to router
1 printer, attached to mini, sharing on network
2 laptops using wireless n - main computers
1 laptop using b/g
2 iphones using b/g
1 express b/g to stereo
$10000000 to S. Jobs.

will doing this dual band set up essentially mean i have two independent networks?

I would like to have my printer, mini, and wireless music appear on all set ups.

Possible?

Cheers and thanks

thumb

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
As somebody running a dual band network made of a first gen TC and Linksys WRT54GS, I can tell you that all devices will be able to communicate with one another. It does set up two separate SSIDs (and in essence two networks), but since they are on the same subnet they act as one. My Linksys is running in bridge mode, so the TC's doing all the routing and the Linksys only serves as a wireless/wired access point for wireless b/g and ethernet connected devices. I have an ethernet printer, multiple N and G devices, and multiple ethernet devices connecting to both routers and being able to communicate and share networked resources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.