Set up iphone to copy all ipod touch settings?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by slappy sam, Aug 14, 2011.

1. slappy sam macrumors member

Just got an iphone and have had ipod touches for 3 years or so. So I have all my email accounts on there, icons in the places where I want them, all settings, etc.

Is there a way to basically take my new iphone and set it to sync all of this stuff on my ipod touch to the phone? Basically I want to just make my iphone a mirror image of exactly everything on my ipod.

Is this possible or do I have to add emails/rearrange icons/change settings/etc. manually? I've got my contacts/calendar/media to sync but I want an exact copy of the ipod touch.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When you plug the iPhone into iTunes for the first time it will ask if you want to restore it from a backup. Choose one of your iPod Touch backups and restore from that.

3. slappy sam thread starter macrumors member

What if it isnt the first time anymore.... I should still be able to do it right?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can either restore the iPhone or right click its icon in the left hand column of iTunes and select "Restore from Backup". Then just select the correct iPod Touch backup and let it restore the settings.

5. slappy sam thread starter macrumors member

it will only allow me to do it to the iphone backup, even if i manually remove the iphone backup folders from the directory so only the ipt backup is there, then theres no option to restore... damn

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Is it a Verizon iPhone with 4.2.X and an iPod Touch with 4.3.X? In that case, you cannot restore down firmware versions, only up.

7. slappy sam thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thats the problem. Dunno whether to wait for 4.3 or not...

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Verizon iPhone won't get iOS 4.3.X. The soonest you'll be able to transfer your stuff is with the release of iOS 5 in September.

9. slappy sam thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm going ahead and just doing it manually. Thanks for all your help!