Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AirPods, introduced last December, are Apple's completely wire-free earphones that have a W1 chip inside for simple pairing between devices.

AirPods work like magic, and while they're easy to set up, the process may not be intuitive to all users who received AirPods this Christmas, so we thought we'd share some quick, easy to digest instructions.

AirPods-duo.jpg

1. Remove the AirPods from the packaging.
  2. Leave the AirPods in AirPods case.
  3. Power on your iPhone or iPad, unlock it, and go to the Home screen (aka the main app screen).
  4. Open up the lid to your AirPods case.
  5. Hold the AirPods case with open lid next to your iPhone or iPad.
  6. Your iOS device will recognize the AirPods and you'll see a popup to connect your AirPods.
    airpodsnotconnected.jpg
  7. Tap "Connect."
  8. You'll be instructed to press and hold on the back button of the AirPods case.
    airpodsholdbutton.jpg
  9. Press it for a few seconds, and the popup on your iPhone will change to "Connecting."
  10. When the connection is complete, the popup will display the battery life for both the AirPods and the case.
    airpodsconnected.jpg

That's all there is to it. Once this setup process has been completed, your AirPods will re-pair to your iOS device whenever you open up the case lid. This re-pairing process takes just a few seconds, so your AirPods are essentially ready to go whenever you pull them out.

Your AirPods are linked to your iCloud account, so once you pair them with one device, your other devices know they exist. You can switch connections between your devices through the standard Bluetooth settings options, where AirPods will be listed on any device that you're signed into with your iCloud account.

airpodsbluetoothmenu-800x312.jpg

On iOS devices, go to Settings --> Bluetooth and tap "AirPods." On a Mac, click on the Bluetooth icon in the status bar, choose AirPods, and then select "Connect." On Apple TV, open up the Settings app, choose "Video and Audio," scroll down to "Audio," select "Audio Output" and choose AirPods.

On iOS devices, you can also use the Now Playing widget in Control Center to select AirPods, and on Apple TV, you can hold down the Home button on the main Apple TV screen to bring up a shortcut to audio options.

Update: As some MacRumors forum members have pointed out, when pairing with an iOS device signed into your iCloud account, the step involving a button press may not be necessary. In this situation, the AirPods should be ready to pair after opening the case near an iPhone or iPad.

Article Link: How to Set Up Your New AirPods

macpanzer

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Do you actually need to hold the button on the AirPods case to connect them initially? I can’t remember I had to press it the first time I connected them with my iPhone. Ever since I performed a reset, I had to press it.

No, it is not needed. The button is there for connecting to non-Apple devices.
The author should read the manual for AirPods first, then write a guide.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Ugh I miss mine. Lost my case and waiting for the wireless version. Dropped it while biking I think.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Santa didn't bring me airpods, I guess it's back to my trusty wired ones. At this point I'm use to being tangled in cords. Lol

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Do you actually need to hold the button on the AirPods case to connect them initially? I can’t remember I had to press it the first time I connected them with my iPhone. Ever since I performed a reset, I had to press it.
You don't need to press the button on the back of the case. That button is only if you want to pair the AirPods to say, an Android phone or some other device.

Reactions: nekonokami

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Wonder if there is a way to NOT have them show for every iCloud device. Now my wife’s iPhone shows the audio options instead of speakerphone since we share an iCloud.

Cue all the iCloud sharing haters ...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Why the hell do we need a set up guide?? This whole article should be, open airpods. Aaaaaannnnd done

Should be.

There SHOULD be a guide to what happens when:

1.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear and nothing happens for 10-45 seconds (happens often).
2.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear and you hear the "chime" sound, but then they immediately disconnect right after for no reason.
3.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and it connects WITHOUT the chime sound.
4.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and they work for a bit and then completely randomly disconnect.
5.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and they simply refuse to connect unless you put it/them back in the case, close the case, open the case, and put it/them back in your ear.

The AirPods are brilliant when they work, but my goodness are they a pain in the ass when they don't work CONSISTENTLY (which - for me and EVERYONE I know who has them - is an issue).

Reactions: pdaholic

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Should be.

There SHOULD be a guide to what happens when:

1.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear and nothing happens for 10-45 seconds (happens often).
2.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear and you hear the "chime" sound, but then they immediately disconnect right after for no reason.
3.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and it connects WITHOUT the chime sound.
4.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and they work for a bit and then completely randomly disconnect.
5.) You open the AirPods case, put an AirPod in your ear, and they simply refuse to connect unless you put it/them back in the case, close the case, open the case, and put it/them back in your ear.

The AirPods are brilliant when they work, but my goodness are they a pain in the ass when they don't work CONSISTENTLY (which - for me and EVERYONE I know who has them - is an issue).
Eek... will not buy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.