set up new mini 2012 with Dell U2412m

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by kvncrw46, Jul 24, 2015.

1. kvncrw46 macrumors newbie

Forgive my return to this forum for what I suppose Will reveal my technological incompetence. I have an unboxed Mac Mini 2012 and a relatively new Dell U2412m. Thanks to the answers from another question earlier on this forum, I will connect them via HDMI. I fear I am faced with a chicken and egg dilemma. I think I can set the input source on the Dell from the OSD independent of the Mac Mini. I suppose my simple question is, what issues may arise when I try and set up the Mac Mini and how would I resolve them? Thanks in advance.

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I don't suspect you'll have any issues. Just select the input type from the display controls [on the monitor], the Mini will output to the HDMI just fine.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The Dell display will likely be set to autoselect whatever input is connected to it. You might have some choices about color settings, in the OSD. Give it a try without changing anything. That may give you a picture that is just fine.
    I have a slightly older S2340M, connected to a 2012 mini. Works great for me.

To address your last question - It's hard to predict what issues you may get (and there may be no issues at all :D ), so setup your mini, then as issues appear (if any), return here. There's plenty of folks who can help you out.

4. kvncrw46, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015

kvncrw46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, D.T. and DeltaMac.

5. alisalem macrumors member

I have the same setup like yours and I recommend using DVI over HDMI.

HDMI lets OS X treat the display as a TV and forces it to use a color mode called YCbCr instead of the correct RGB. The colors will look slightly washed out and inaccurate.

Someone created a tool to force RGB, but since the U2412M comes with a DVI cable and the Mac mini has a DVI to HDMI converter, then better use that and save yourself the trouble.

6. kvncrw46, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

kvncrw46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, alisalem. I just wasn't clear. I began another thread earlier asking which connection to use with the Mac mini and Dell u2412m and a vigorous debate ensued. From that discussion, I intend to use the mini's DVI HDMI converter (with a DVI to DVI cable for extra length, which alas did not come with the secondhand monitor I purchased ) to connect to the DVI port in the monitor. Hopefully, I won't have to enter the technological stratosphere that you mentioned in your helpful post. Thanks.

7. kvncrw46 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for your help. Set up went well with no issues with the Dell. Now I can"t keep my eyes off it.