set up password for Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dnvr21, Jul 4, 2010.

1. dnvr21 macrumors newbie

Is there a way for Mail to ask for password every time it launches? i am logged in as the Admin... it is just people some times borrow my mac and i dont want them seeing my email.. tnx in advance

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Enable fast user switching and set up a non-admin account.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You could setup a guest account.

You can't password protect individual applications.

4. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

Yeah, set up a guest account will be the better way.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To reiterate Bruce.Lee's post, it is an incredibly bad idea to allow others to use your account. Doesn't matter if they are strangers, colleagues, friends, or family. Don't do it. If you don't mind others using your computer, then establish a [restricted] guest account. This will prevent their making any permanent changes to your System. Make no mistake, even your most trusted loved ones will attempt to change system settings and install software. Therefore, it is a good idea to login to your guest account on occasion to delete the files that they leave behind.

6. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

+1 there. You should NEVER let someone else use your user account. No matter what, I'd have another account (I name it webbrowser) with a random password so if someone needs to use my laptop, I can quickly switch users to that account. Then they can do their business without without getting into my business.

If you know other people may ask to use your Mac often, I'd enable the Guest account. In 10.6, as soon as someone logs off, it erases the Guest's home directory, so any crap they leave behind is gone. I also would consider going as far as enabling Parental Controls on the account to lock out all apps but a Web browser. This way, they can't stick a USB flash drive in the machine when your back is turned and try their hand at pirating your programs.

Of course, if you have other people use the machine constantly, I highly recommend four other things:

The first is to set a password in the EFI bios. More details here. This will keep people from trying to boot and reset your admin password. Make sure you remember the password though.

The second is to enable FileVault, and set a master password. This way, if another user does get admin access, they won't be able to dig through your E-mail and files. This also provides a benefit of allowing you to unlock another account if they enable FileVault and forget their user password.

The third is to consider a form of physical lock, so the Mac doesn't walk off. This applies especially with laptops. I'd consider buying this if you don't mind using a key, or if you use a combination, this. Even bulkier items like iMacs or Mac Pros can disappear quickly.

The fourth is to keep good backups, just in case the other people do something stupid. I recommend both an external drive with Time Machine, and a service like Mozy or Carbonite. This way, if something happens to both the Mac and external HDD (such as a drunk roommate vomiting on both the computer and external drive, frying both with "used" tequila), you still have your valuable work.