Set up Time Capsule without Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rhapsodicmagpie, Sep 3, 2014.

1. rhapsodicmagpie macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

I'm Swiss and i'm new in this forum. I hope to have good discussions about Apple products and to find a solution for a urgent problem i have:

I own a Retina Macbook Pro and an Airport Express which i only use to stream music from my Macbook to my HiFi-System.
    Recently i bought a Time Capsule which i intend to use as storage for some of my personal data.

Now, i'm not sure about the setupt of the Time Capsule and the Airport express.
    I live in a shared flat, where there already exists a wireless home network.
    So i tried to integrate my Time Capsule into this home network without connecting it to the modem via ethernet cable. (The modem is in the living room, my Time Capsule is in my own room)
    But this doesn't seem to work. My Time Capsule always wants to create a new wireless home network when i try to set it up with the airport setup guide on my Macbook.

So how can i integrate my Time Capsule in an existing wireless home network, without permanently connecting it to the modem? And after that, how should i integrate the Airport Express? Connecting it to the Time Capsule via ethernet cable or integrate it wirelessly?

Cheers

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You would have to run an Ethernet cable from the modem to the Time Capsule's WAN port.