Set Up Time Machine for ReadyNAS RAID server ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EricaV, Dec 3, 2011.

1. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

I'm having trouble designating a portion of my RAID readyNAS server for Time Machine. The instructions from ReadyNAS are easy enough. I seem to be getting my passwords entered accurately enough continue to proceed until the very end. But Im getting the following error message when it comes time to complete the first backup and finish:

Operation could not be completed. (OSStatus error -6602.)

I tried turning the time machine on and off to see it that would make a difference- no difference. I tried different passwords (i.e. my macbook password versus the readynas). The readynas password seems to get me through without the "wrong password" message, but again, the final result is the error message above.

Any/all feedback welcome.

Thanks ! Erica

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I've seen quite a few references here to the fact that TM is not supported / does not work (different things of course) on NAS, and whilst some people may have got it working some of the time, there are no guarantees that will continue to be the case over future patches and releases.

Here's a recent story google unearthed

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Lion changed the way it talks to Time Machine, some NAS's updated the firmware Synology, QNAP. But you'll have to check with Netgear to see if your model has been updated.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

What Ready NAS is it and are you using Lion? have you updated your firmware?

I have a ready has here NV + 4 Bay 4 TB total. When i was using Leopard and Snow leopard i was able to get the Mac's to back up to.

Soon as i updated to Lion, i was unable to connect to the Ready NAS time machine share that it makes. Only way i was able to do this was to update the firmware for they unit.

5. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

thanks re: time machine and ReadyNAS feedback

Makes sense to start with updating the firmware on the server. Thanks for all the feedback. I also have Mac OS X 10.5.8 not snow leopard, not sure if that is part of the problem