Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
This must be a pretty popular combo, anyone got any set up tips - what output to chose on the ATV and what setting on the TV?

I was wading through the "Apple TV 4K doesn't support 24Hz output" thread and there seemed to be some positive things mentioned about the 2017 LG OLED TVs (they can do Dolby Vision 24 Hz? but they can also handle 60 Hz input well due?)

I've only had my OLED55C7 a couple of weeks so am very new to all the tech so really don't understand all this stuff - any tips on setup would be much appreciated.

PTVMan

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
This must be a pretty popular combo, anyone got any set up tips - what output to chose on the ATV and what setting on the TV?

I was wading through the "Apple TV 4K doesn't support 24Hz output" thread and there seemed to be some positive things mentioned about the 2017 LG OLED TVs (they can do Dolby Vision 24 Hz? but they can also handle 60 Hz input well due?)

I've only had my OLED55C7 a couple of weeks so am very new to all the tech so really don't understand all this stuff - any tips on setup would be much appreciated.

I own a 2016 OLED C6. You will likely find more answers and tips if you head over to the AVS Forum for both your TV and the new Apple TV 4K:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...017-lg-c7-b7-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...5-supports-4k-uhd-hdr-many-movies-itunes.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...2915448-next-gen-apple-tv-support-4k-hdr.html

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
I have a 2017 LG OLED C7P with the Apple TV 4k. Absolute nightmare so far....The tv constantly goes to a state of "no signal" when watching any content through the Apple TV. Seems to happen anywhere from 5-2hrs later. Have the latest HDMI standard cables I just purchased. Had no issues with the the previous Apple TV 4th gen. Only got to use it for a couple days with the new LG but it did not drop signal once. I have tried all the different picture format options on the Apple TV. UHD Deep Color enabled on the tv...

Reactions: George Dawes

timmys

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2015
I have a 2017 LG OLED C7P with the Apple TV 4k. Absolute nightmare so far....The tv constantly goes to a state of "no signal" when watching any content through the Apple TV. Seems to happen anywhere from 5-2hrs later. Have the latest HDMI standard cables I just purchased. Had no issues with the the previous Apple TV 4th gen. Only got to use it for a couple days with the new LG but it did not drop signal once. I have tried all the different picture format options on the Apple TV. UHD Deep Color enabled on the tv...

Probably not you want to here but none of the "High Speed" HDMI cables i tried worked properly (sparkles and dropped signal) and I ended up just buying the Belkin one from the Apple store which has been perfect. I'm sure there are other cables out there that will work but if you want a trouble free solution (albeit expensive), I'd just get the Belkin one.

Reactions: OddyOh

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Probably not you want to here but none of the "High Speed" HDMI cables i tried worked properly (sparkles and dropped signal) and I ended up just buying the Belkin one from the Apple store which has been perfect. I'm sure there are other cables out there that will work but if you want a trouble free solution (albeit expensive), I'd just get the Belkin one.

Thanks, I think I am going to go back and try the old cable again. The new cables I purchased I am using on the 4K Samsung downstairs and no issues at all. The upstairs LG OLED Is why I ended up purchasing a new cable in order to get get the chroma 4:4:4 and Dolby vision.

If the old cable works with no issues I will try a different make HDMI cable. If I still have issues I’ll just go to the Belkin or stick with the original.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
monoprice premium certified cables work great for me. I have many of them including 1 25'. No problems. They seem to run about $1/ft.

dholaday

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Blue Jeans Cable may be your best bet for quality, reasonably priced, certified cables. AND their cables are American-made. They have a couple of different Belkin-based HDMI cables.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com

It's worth reading through their knowledge base on HDMI and Ethernet and other cables.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017

Was about to say the same thing, I have the same TV. Try changing your HDMI cable.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Are you guys running Dolby vision or her on the Apple TV?

Apple’s forced SDR to DV or HDR10 conversion is suboptimal. Crushed blacks and skin tones are off. If that doesn’t bother you then probably easiest to leave it in Dolby Vision as there seems to be more DV than HDR10 content of the HDR selection. However a lot of us including myself change the mode depending on the content as that way you are getting an accurate picture. So for SD content use 4K SDR and when watching actual HDR content choose the HDR mode based on source video. Unless Apple decides to change to an auto mode change (doubtful) or they significantly improve SDR to HDR conversion this will give the best image quality.

swexican

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017

If you're like me that, that hates TruMotion and always disables it, you might run into some ugly flickering issues when having the ATV output in Dolby Vision. Apparently it's a known problem, and even if it's unsolved by LG or Apple (don't know who is to blame), there is a "fix" for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/799qvm/apple_tv_4k_lg_b7_oled_flicking_screen/

Agent2015

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
Sonoran Desert

Have you taken a look at rings.com? They have a review specifically on LG OLED TVs that might be a good starting point to tune your LG.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Starting with settings in reviews is good. I also go through the specific threads for your TV on AVS forums and see what others are doing. This is ultimately how I got my 2016 LG dialed in.
[doublepost=1509388450][/doublepost]
If you're like me that, that hates TruMotion and always disables it, you might run into some ugly flickering issues when having the ATV output in Dolby Vision. Apparently it's a known problem, and even if it's unsolved by LG or Apple (don't know who is to blame), there is a "fix" for it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/comments/799qvm/apple_tv_4k_lg_b7_oled_flicking_screen/
Trumotion doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can tweak it. Mine is set so I get no judder and also no soap opera effect.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
Apple’s forced SDR to DV or HDR10 conversion is suboptimal. Crushed blacks and skin tones are off. If that doesn’t bother you then probably easiest to leave it in Dolby Vision as there seems to be more DV than HDR10 content of the HDR selection. However a lot of us including myself change the mode depending on the content as that way you are getting an accurate picture. So for SD content use 4K SDR and when watching actual HDR content choose the HDR mode based on source video. Unless Apple decides to change to an auto mode change (doubtful) or they significantly improve SDR to HDR conversion this will give the best image quality.
Good thing 11.2 will include auto mode change!

Reactions: BODYBUILDERPAUL

FranknStein7

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
With the 7 series LG OLEDs, it should be best to just run it in 60 hz Dolby Vision mode. The real cinema function should provide smooth playback of 24 hz content. As far as TrueMotion settings, this is up to your personal taste. I personally like De-judder set to 0 or 1 and De-blur set to 10. Turning up de-judder any higher creates an undesirable soap opera effect to my eyes. Some people prefer to turn TrueMotion off completely.

Once Apple allows for automatic dynamic range switching, I would probably enable that so SDR content plays back in SDR.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
My default mode is 4k SDR with chroma at 4:4:4 on my 65c7p. Seems to look fine. However I'm confused about the chroma setting as my understanding is that the LG only supports 4:4:4 when in PC mode and I don't have it in PC mode. So why does this work? Is it not really 4:4:4 then? All my devices connect through my Denon x4300h.

mgkiel

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017

I am also have issues with the LG OLED65C7P and the Apple TV 4k. I tried two other HDMI cables before purchasing the Belkin HDMI cable sold at the Apple Store. I also had my Apple TV 4k replaced.
After a couple of hours, I receive the "no signal" error. Some times power cycling the LG TV fixes the issue. Other times I have to reboot the Apple TV and the LG TV. It can be maddening some times.

TopShelf

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2017
Im having the best luck with HDR 60hz on 4.2.2
Picture mode of HDR standard and tweaked to avs ratings

andres888

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2017
Yogyakarta
Hi All,

recently I've got interest in OLED screens.
Browsing online I landed to some small OLED display distributors websites.

I noticed that on some small OLED specifications it is stated the life span of the display.

For example, on www.displayfuture.com, some small OLED displays have as short as 10,000 hours life span, that is equivalent to less than 2.5 years of TV turn on 12 hours per day.
See http://www.displayfuture.com/Display/datasheet/OLED/ER-OLED0.96-1.pdf

Why that information is omitted in large OLED screen? Are they different technologies?

I wrote on different forum but haven't got answer yet

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Try the link from further up this thread.

It is down to personal choice though but these certainly get you going with the basics. One thing to remember is the setting are content sensitive so they need setting up for each content type as HDR and Dolby Vision require different tweaks. Took me a few weeks to realise this d'oh

Reactions: AVBeatMan

K8inDE

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
Thanks, I think I am going to go back and try the old cable again. The new cables I purchased I am using on the 4K Samsung downstairs and no issues at all. The upstairs LG OLED Is why I ended up purchasing a new cable in order to get get the chroma 4:4:4 and Dolby vision.

If the old cable works with no issues I will try a different make HDMI cable. If I still have issues I’ll just go to the Belkin or stick with the original.
[doublepost=1546653799][/doublepost]

Did a new cable work for you?
[doublepost=1546653835][/doublepost]Not sure how to work this forum, did the new cable work for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.