Set up VLC as default player possible?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CooperBox, Aug 23, 2016.

1. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

This query concerns a G4 1.25GHz 17" iMac, which I'm trying to set up as a 'video/music media-player'.
    The system has VLC media-player version 0.9.10. I have about 50+ mp4 videos saved onto the HD.
    I've been trying for hours to try and make VLC the default player. Nowhere in Apple or VLC preferences can I see that this is possible. QTPlayer (version 7.6.4) seems to be locked in as the default player. Can this be unlocked?
    Which leads me to a related question: Is it possible in VLC to set up video playlists as one can in iTunes?

2. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

have you tried to do right click on the mp4 file, click on obtain information, then click on "open with" vlc, and set "modify all"?

3. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

That's the way I'd do it.
    For playlists, open the playlist widow and drag in files/folders - you can shift click select them and save as a playlist m3u file which you can drag back in again at any point to play the files you chose.

4. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Thanks. I've tried it but not really the solution. Selecting 'Open with'/VLC, then clicking on 'Change All' then confirming the change with 'Continue', only appears to change that particular mp4 file to VLC, and not the others on the desktop, which still open in QTPlayer by default- even after a reboot.

5. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

you will have to repeat that for each file extension type i.e. .mp4 .avi .mpg and so on

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

7. CooperBox thread starter macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Ok, thanks for all your feedback, I'll see how these suggestions play out.
    Incidentally, I see now how to set up video playlists in VLC.