SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2016

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Terminate, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Terminate macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

SETI.Germany invites all BOINC teams to the SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2016. It takes place from 15th August, 16.00 UTC, until 29th August 2016, 16.00 UTC.
    We cordially ask all team leaders to forward the invitation to their team. Information about the Wow! Race 2016, an exciting race concept and a registration form can be found here:
    http://www.seti-germany.de/Wow/anmeldung.php?&lang=en
    SETI.Germany wishes you and your team members much fun with the Wow! Event 2016.

Many Greetings: Terminator

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That was an interesting read. Another explanation to the great filter is that there is a certain level of technology no one gets past. Not due to war or destruction. Rather just a simple limit to how much matter can be manipulated, energy stored and generated, heat dissipated, &c. So that you can only reach a certain point and no further.

Another possibility for no signals is that radio is simp

3. chown33 macrumors 604

ly too unreliable.

Overflows, underflows, interference: they all take their toll.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I thought I deleted that last line. Anyways I was thinking radio may simply be a short lived technology. Species just use it a couple hundred years before finding something better. So the odds of picking up a signal during that short use life are exceedingly low.

5. Terminate thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I've been doing SETI since 1999. Had 50,000 computer hours (49,950 to be exact) under the old system and close to 10 million new units under the new. And that's hilarious because I truly believe we are alone in the universe. This isn't a religious thing as I am atheist, it's just a gut feeling. But still...
    But BOINC does more than just SETI if anyone has idle computers laying around on all day like I have had. They do work like proteins and other medical research, and a host of other things that truly could help humanity. (And some that are just cool)

7. JamesPDX, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

JamesPDX macrumors 65816

JamesPDX

Hey, have you looked into that new IBM quantum thing with the IBM Research Frontiers Institute? I'm hoping we can at least process the JunoCam stuff as fast as it comes in, as in nothing should be thrown out when we can throw the data at a huge cluster, and that cluster can connect to the other cloud-cluster services. PM me and I'll join or help where I can given my bandwidth.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Oh, radio will be gone in 10 years. MBA's are just beginning to realize that people are listening to music coming over public airwaves for free! -And that will not stand. Keep an eye around here: https://www.fcc.gov/rulemaking/most-active-proceedings because this is where spectrum auctions are usually announced. -But you have to be patient. Clicking around here can be akin to making a FOIS request. My connection keeps timing-out. Best of luck!

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I am not familiar with that at all but will look into it today. I think that with all the computers in the world that sit idle for so long there is an opportunity as a species to band together to solve things.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

lol 150 billion different universes and you think we are the only intelligent life forms?

10. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

A very valid point (although there's only one universe... probably). I agree with you that it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that life hasn't evolved somewhere else.

However, the flip side is that logically *somewhere* had to be first - and they'd have gazed into the skies saying "Where the heck is everyone else... all those stars and galaxies! Surely there must be *someone* else out there!" But they'd find only silence.

I sure hope we're not first!

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Not only do I believe in extra terrestrial biological entities exist (ebes), but I go even further.

I believe they have been here all along aiding and in some ways minipulating human life and our DNA as we know it. Their agenda I have no idea but I can tell you I have lost countless hours of sleep pondering it.

12. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I see.