Settign up air disk and time capsule help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tslewis, May 24, 2011.

1. tslewis macrumors member

So I want to set up both a time capsule and an air disk.

I want to use an air disk to access files remotely and to store my media on. iTunes will read from this.

I want to then create a time capsule using an external hard drive connected via USB to my mac book.

Im using Extended journal formatting for both. I want my time capsule to back up both my macbook internal hd, another external drive that is Fat32 and also used by boot camp, AND also my air disk media files.

The problem is, I udnerstand it is impossible to back up an air disk using time capsule.

Does anyone know of a way where I can also back up my air disk? It seems crazy to have an air disk feature but no means of backing up that data. Will a secondary air disk assigned as a time capsule be able to back up the other air disk?

What are your external hard drive set ups? What are the recommended setups for working with and backing up both MAC and Win 7 drives?

cheers

2. marc11 macrumors 68000

You can use CarbonCopyCloner to back up your airdisk, just set up what files or directories you want to back up, the back up target and a schedule. Also, I am almost positive I was able to set up Time Machine to grab some files from my airdisk. Just make sure it is mounted before you set up your Time Machine and select it during the set up process. I could be wrong, but I was sure I had it set like that for a while...(changed my set up a while ago so it isn't like that now)

3. tslewis thread starter macrumors member

Thansk man. Ill try and setup time machine again makign sure the air disk is mounted first. I heard of carboncopycloner. Is there any advantage over it to this program

http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_features.html

4. marc11 macrumors 68000

Looks like ChronoSynch my offer a few more features than CCC, but for what I have used CCC for, cloning drives, making bootable drives and data synch/archive, it works perfectly.