Setting a schedule to automatically switch from ring to vibrate

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rrandyy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Is there any app that will let me set a schedule that dictates when the ringer will be on and when it will be on vibrate? For example, I would like it to be on vibrate M-F from 9am-1pm and have the ringer be on the remaining time.

2. memesmith macrumors regular

3. ghayenga macrumors regular

Perhaps it can be done for jailbroken iPhones?

It's strictly not allowed for official third-party iPhone apps.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I have no idea, but that little toggle switch on the side of the phone seems pretty god-like in its control. I suspect the vibrate function is tied to that switch pretty deep in the firmware.

If that's true, no application could just override it, jailbreak or not. The OS itself would have to be changed in a way that jailbreaking doesn't do.

Just speculation, but I think it's a good guess.

5. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

You really don't have the energy to take your phone out and switch the vibrate off or on?

:rolleyes:

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It probably isn't a matter of energy, it's probably a matter of remembering / finding time to do it.

Say you run into class, nearly late, stumble into your seat, the teacher is giving you an eye as he starts his lecture. Do you really want to fumble in your pocket and pull out a phone to switch it to vibrate?

7. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

i have MCleaner, it's not exactly what you're looking for but i set it so that from 9pm - 6am all call are forwarded to my voicemail.

8. RandomAlec macrumors newbie

RandomAlec

Been there done that, who doesn't have a cell phone in this day and age, if a teacher gives me attitude for pulling my phone out to put it on silent I'll just acknowledge him and respond with something like "alright then, I'll just leave it off of vibrate." :cool:

That MCleaner sounds interesting. :)

9. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the feedback! Maybe someone will be able to override the ringer/vibrate flag in the future. The main idea would be so that the phone doesn't ring during regularly schedule classes or meetings even when the user forgets to switch it manually.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

He's probably giving you attitude because you're disrupting the class and why would you have to wait until after you've entered the class to put your phone on silent? Does anyone think about someone other than themselves these days? Apparently not.

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I had my Palm Treo set up to do all the silent/ring/forward stuff with an app. was nice as heck didn't even have to think about my phone.

Unfortunately the iPhone is lacking something (even MCleaner) similar to that. However I've never had an issue as I walked from the car/bus stop to the building entrance to remember to flip the switch to silent. The real drawback is that I sometimes (often) forget to flip it to ring when work/school is over.
    No biggie most times but...

12. applerocks macrumors regular

What would be really nice is if there were some way to due this with locations. Like if you're home and it's after 12am or something, the phone goes to softer ring for over night. Or, if you programmed your classroom, for example, and then whenever it gets there it just silences.

I know that could get weird with times when you visit after hours and such, but this in conjunction with time settings could be really cool.

13. hsk macrumors regular

As a possible new iPhone customer, this will be an item I will miss from my WM phone - automatic switching from ring to vibrate only based on calendar events.

14. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Why would you have to wait to turn it on silent? Because you were late and were in a rush and it slipped your mind. Moving your phone out of your pocket just enough to switch the vib key on is not going to disrupt anything.

Are you a teacher or something? Jeez take a midol already

15. rrandyy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's almost one year later, but I have run across an application that appears to do exactly what was originally requested in this post. In case anyone comes across this thread, consider using this app (requires jailbreak): http://www.niufenfen.com/atimetool/use.htm