Setting Airport Extreme 5th Gen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by amitabhbansal, Feb 11, 2012.

1. amitabhbansal macrumors 6502

friends
    today i bought AEBS 5th Gen, before that i was using Netgear router, but someone suggest me to buy this, i have few questions which i didnt find on net.
    1. in my netgear i have set the router IP to 192.168.1.0 as my modem IP is 192.168.1.1, i have tried to do so in AEBS but failed, Please tell me how to do it.
    2. I have a External HDD NTFS, i have connected it to AEBS but in my MACBOOK PRO (LION) i am unable to find it, so how i can get that?
    3. What is dual band in it? in my macbook it shows me 2 signal from AEBS, Normal one and 5Ghz, what is it used for and why the signal of 5Ghz is lower then the normal one?
    Thanks

2. jackrv, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

jackrv macrumors 6502

A device IP cannot end in 0. It must be between 1-254 as 0 is the network address and 255 is the broadcast address. Are you sure you weren't looking at the network IP on the Net gear and not the actual device IP?

Dual band means that it has at least 2 antennas, one at 2.5ghz and one at 5ghz. If you only had one antenna using both frequencies, it would work at 5ghz only if EVERY connected device was 5, otherwise everything drips to the slower speed. You see less strength because even though 5 is faster, it has less range.

Mind typos, on my phone.

3. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Jackrv for your reply and sorry for typing mistake its not 192.168.1.0, i want to set it to 192.168.0.1, so tell me how to do it.
    Thanks

4. jackrv, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

jackrv macrumors 6502

I don't have an airport where I am so I can't walk through the screens atm, but hopefully someone who has one handy can chime in. If your modem has an IP of 192.168.1.xxx, then it is already acting as a router, as a modem itself should only have public IPs.

If in fact the modem IS doing DHCP and acting as a router, then I think Bridge mode is the AEBS term you would want to use. It would not act as a DHCP server, it would just act as a switch and a Wireless access point to your existing router. If your modem only had public IPs (as most pure modems do), I think the mode you want is shared mode. This will make the AEBS act as a router, giving DHCP addresses and performing outbound NAT. Regardless, you should not need to set any manual IP configs on either unless you are trying to do something specific, such as limiting the DHCP scope or changing the internal network from say 192.168.1.xxx to 192.168.2.xxx or something else.

If you get rid of any existing routers you have and just have the modem, it should be as easy as connecting the AEBS to the modem, running Airport Utility, and selecting the mode you want to use. The AEBS will get it's external IP from the modem, and create an internal network for you.

As for question 2, I have not tried to access an NTFS formatted drive from a Mac yet (locally or over a network), so I don't have help for you there :(

5. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Open the Airport Utility App
    Click your Router then Edit
    Go to the Network Tab
    Click the DHCP Range dropdown menu
    You can start your network as 10.0.0.1, 172.16.0.1 or 192.168.0.1

You choose the prefix to your network and your router should automatically retain the x.x.x.1 address for itself leaving x.x.x.2 - 200 for the range of your network. (or x.x.x.2 - whatever you want your last available IP to be)

Attached Files:

6. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks MMOMEGA, i did that and its working awsome, but one more question, my iphone 4s doesnt show me the 5Ghz signal, its showing me on my Sony Vaio and on MacBook Pro, i want to know what is the purpose of it?

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The iPhone doesn't support 5Ghz, only 2.4.

8. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what devices will support 5Ghz and what is its use?

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Well, obviously your Sony and Macbook Pro both do. It can be used for faster speeds with less interference.

10. amitabhbansal thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks
    but the 2.4 signal is good and 5Ghz signal is not so strong like 2.4, why is that so?

11. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

The 5Ghz has a broader spectrum than 2.4ghz which should give you less interference but 5Ghz is attenuated more than at the 2.4Ghz range. This means that as the 5Ghz signal hits a wall or window for example it gradually loses its signal strength from the router. Not only are these signals absorbed by these obstacles it can also be scattered.

12. jackrv macrumors 6502

Think of it like like AM vs FM radio. FM has a higher modulated signal (can carry more data, like stereo), but has a shorter range (can't transmit through buildings as much). AM has a more flatter signal (can transmit long range, but limited to lower quality audio). 5Ghz has a much higher modulation, but can't reach as far. 2.4Ghz can transmit further, especially through walls, but has a lower bandwidth.