Setting an iPhone up from a backup minus some stuff?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 0dev, Feb 3, 2011.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I'm about to get an iPhone 4 and I'll be restoring it from my 3GS backup, but I'd like not to restore the camera roll since there's lots of photos in there, all of which have already been ported to iPhoto. Obviously, I could delete them after the sync is done, but I'd have to tick each one individually to do that and it'll take ages.

So, is there any way to set up an iPhone from a backup minus certain things? Or to just remove parts of the backup data in iTunes?

Thanks in advance!

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

No!
    However, there is a couple of things that might work.
    1) Since the photos are still in the camera roll, why not connect your 3Gs to your Mac and let iPhoto import the photos again, after iPhoto does it's thing, it should give you the option to delete all the photos on the camera roll. Now that the pics are off of the 3Gs, do another backup. if you have already set up the new phone, the same thing would work with the new one.

2) You could use this, http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/and browse to the folder on your phone that contains the photos and just delete them.

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

1) The 3GS is gone, too late for that I'm afraid.
    2) That's a good idea. Do I have to delete any kind of index file or anything as well, or just the image files?

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

When iPhoto asks if you want to delete or keep the images in the camera, just select delete. Nothing else to do...