setting contact picture

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotorious, May 8, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Sometimes ill set the contact picture it will be a full screen photo, and them sometimes it will just be a little square in the top right. What gives? do i have to turn some sort of feature on?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think it has something to do with how you put the pictures on your phone.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

If you set the picture on your phone it is a thumbnail in the corner, if you set it in your Address Book on your Mac it will be full screen.

4. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

well why does it come out full screen sometimes and sometimes no. I dont think it has to do with the adress book... What if people dont own a mac?

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It really does have to do with that. If someone doesn't have a Mac then they don't get the full screen contact picture.

As for why it may come up sometimes and sometimes not, maybe you have separate contacts set up in your unified contact box (Google Contacts etc). I know for me I have a friend that in my contact list from my Mac, I only have her cell phone number - so when she calls from her cell phone I get the picture I have set up there. In my Google Contacts account I have her home number as well though, so when she calls from home I get a different picture.

Another way to get a fullscreen picture is if you have no contact photo chosen, then it simply uses your background picture.

6. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am reading some other posts and you saying syncing with you address book actually makes it a small picture. People are saying it may be a Verizon thing or a google exchange issue.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's the opposite of that but, yeah, that's basically it.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Those people are clueless.

If you use a pic on your phone, it is big. If you use a pic from your PC/Mac/ whatever, it is small.

9. rrandyy, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011

rrandyy macrumors 6502

I just tried this. My setup syncs my iphone contacts and mac address book with Google.

Setting an image for a contact using my phone, the image was small when that contact called me.

Setting an image for a contact using my Mac's address book, the image was small when that contact called me.

Maybe the syncing with Google is what is causing the small images?

Update:
    I did a little digging around. If your phone is syncing with google for contacts, the images will all be small because google resizes them. If you are not syncing your contacts other than through iTunes, images you set on your phone will be big and images you set on your mac will be small.

10. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder if they will address this issue because i really dont want to turn syncing off.

11. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

If you set the contact pic with your phone it comes out full screen. What I do is crop the pics with some photo editor. Make it the res of the iPhone, then make a contact folder to sync with iTunes.

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes, I had this problem too. Syncing contacts with Google would resize them.
    Even if you set the picture to large on your iPhone. It would then send the contact and info up to Google, which in turn would resize the picture, and then resync down to your phone. Over writing the large picture you originally set on your phone.
    The only way around this, is to disable syncing just your contacts. It sucks, but its the only way if you want to keep large pictures for your contacts. Google resizes them, its not an Apple or iPhone issue.

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Actually, they're not. You are mistaken in your assessment. It is a Google Exchange thing, that when the contact data is sync'd up to Google it will resize the picture and then send it back to the iPhone smaller.

14. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

Leaving the Google issue aside (because I don't use Google exchange at all), if you add a picture to a contact on your phone, when that person calls you, you will get a full screen photo.
    If you simply sync the contact from your address book on your Mac, you will only get a thumbnail.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

So then syncing contacts with Google, or Mac, will resize the contact image? That blows.