Setting Desktop Backgrounds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wolfpackfan, Jul 15, 2009.

1. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I have only been a Mac user for about six months now but there is a problem I can't figure out (maybe it can't be done). Is there anyway when you are browsing files within Finder (or viewing a picture in Preview) that you can select a photo and have it immediately become your desktop background. I know in Windows I was always able to do this by just right clicking on the file and set background was an option. The only way I've found to set the background on my Mac is to right click on the desktop and then choose the "Change the Desktop Background" option and do it there. I can also do it within iPhoto or Picasa. But quite often I'm just browsing through my files in Finder and I run across a picture I'd like to use for my background. Surely if you can do it in Windows you can do it somehow in Mac OS. Am I missing something (I hope so). Thanks for your help.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Take this Automator workflow, open it in Automator ...

Then File > Save as Plug-in ... Choose Finder.

Restart Finder

After that, when you right-click, go to More, then Automator ... you'll see it there with whatever name you saved it as.

Attached Files:

3. wolfpackfan thread starter macrumors 68000

Fantastic!! I knew there had to be a way to do it. All I had to do was ask. Thanks loads.

4. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Yeah, it's kinda silly it's not just an option by default.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I believe Apple is FINALLY adding this in Snow Leopard. I could have sworn I saw this in a beta screenshot.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Indeed.

Attached Files: