Setting extended alerts for iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aticon, Jun 19, 2009.

1. aticon macrumors newbie

Recently got a new iPod touch (8GB). I live in New Zealand, and have a PC running Windows XP. Have downloaded latest version of iTunes and the iPod touch is running fine, but I wonder about setting alerts in the Calendar app on the device. It seems the longest alert I can set for an event is 2 days, but I'd like to extend alerts back to 2 weeks. A friend with an iPhone is able to do this, but I don't see an option for it to go out this long.

Do I need to have the iCal program in order to customize longer alerts that will sync through to my Touch? I checked the apple website, but all iCal downloads are for Mac OS; don't see anything for Windows. Is there an iCal program compatible with Windows XP that I could download and then use to set my event alerts with greater lead time? If so, how would I direct the Touch to sync the Calendar with that program?

Fanx for any help,
    Frustrated in NZ...

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

In iCal you can set alerts as far back as 9999 days prior to the event, which is most definitely very handy and useful. :)

Not sure about the other things you asked though.

3. pilotrtc macrumors regular

That's how I do it.

I'd also like to know how to make those reminders on my iPod Touch silent. They are set to silent in iCal but for some reason, that setting is ignored during the sync.

4. aticon thread starter macrumors newbie

So do I definitely need to have iCal in order to set extended alerts (i.e. anything longer than 2 days)? In other words, can extended alerts (beyond 2 days) not be set directly from the Touch itself? If this is the case, is iCal compatible with a PC running Widows XP?

5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

6. Plank macrumors newbie

Outlook 2007 on XP allows you to set extended alerts. 2 weeks is in the list, or you can enter a time period of your own choice. Then use iTunes to "Sync Calendars with Outlook".

Not much help if you don't have Outlook, tho?