Setting Folder Permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JackJack941, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JackJack941 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm a new mac user. Just switched from Windows 7.

I have these two external hard drives that i've had over the many years of reformating my Windows computer over and over again. Well in doing this, it has created all these crazy security settings and permission settings. Hooking them up to my new Hackintosh that is running pretty friggin perfectly besides this issue, well everything is now locked on those two hard drives and its all read only.

How can I clear the permissions and set them to the new mac OS 10.8.4?

Thanks for the help!

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

So you just switched from Windows, so can I assume that this hard drive is NTFS formatted? We really need to know what filesystem the drive is in order to diagnose the issue.

I'll take a leap here though and assume the drives are formatted NTFS, as OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, not write to them.

If this is indeed your issue and they are formatted NTFS, the best option in my opinion if you wanted to write to the drives would be to install Fuse for OSX, NTFS-3g, and possibly the fuse-wait patch(if you are running into the timeout issue with NTFS drives during mount). These in combination are what I use to read and write NTFS formatted drives and it works pretty well.

3. JackJack941 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, both hard drives are NTFS. Is there a certin way to install these programs or no? Thanks for the help!

4. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Nothing special, you just install them. Technically you need to install Fuse for OSX first, as that is what allows you to extend Mac's native filesystem handling with 3rd party plugins and filesystems. Then you want to install NTFS-3g, as that is the plugin for NTFS filesystems which Fuse for OSX will use to read/write NTFS. Finally the fuse-wait patch fixes a time-out issue that Fuse and NTFS-3g encounters at times from what I've read (honestly I haven't tried using NTFS-3g without the patch, so I can't say if it's totally necessary, but I've found no problems with using the patch).

5. JackJack941 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't install the patch, but it seems to be working without it. If you say that it works with the patch then I might just install that anyways. I think I might get myself another hard drive so that way I can start to transfer files and then reformat the 2 hard drives so that way it makes mac world happy. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!