Setting HD's acoustic level. Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Thrash911, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Thrash911 macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Hey,

When using a normal PC, there was some DOS tools that allowed direct control over some neat features some harddrives had. One of these features was setting the acoustical level for the drives, which resulted in silence (pretty much), instead of hearing all the seek noises..

I can not find a tool that allows this on a Mac. More specifically, an iMac 24" if that's important. Is there such a tool for Mac?

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I don't know much about such things but see if this is helpful.

irmongoose

3. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

Well, thanks for your suggestion.. ;)

I tried it, but it seems that this old script is not compatible with the newer OSX versions. I tried running it via the script editor, but it reported all kinds of errors. I don't understand scripting. Yes, I remembered to install APM Tuner first.

One could think, that someone had made a better solution by now? I think it could be possible to take out the HD, put it in a PC and set the acoustic level, and put it back in the Mac. This seems to be a very drastic solution, though..

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The Windows AAM futilities will work on intel Macs, with the catch being of course that you need to install Windows to use them :/ Someone who cares enough will eventually get fed up and port the stuff over.

5. Thrash911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thrash911

I went into Windows (BootCamp), and ran SiSoft Sandra, and looked up the HD info. According to that program, the HD does not support Acoustic Management. My drive model is "ST3250824AS Q", which I think is Seagate? It just seems strange.. I thought all newer HD's supported AAM..? :confused:

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Current Seagate drives don't do AAM because the Seagate implementation was infringing others' patents.