Setting it all up, properly. Advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entatlrg, Dec 27, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have -
    - Mac Pro with ACD,
    At my home office running OSX. Used as an 'always on' computer, for downloads, storage, surfing, back up.

- 15" MacBook Pro with ACD
    This is my main work computer. Running OSX and Win7. Goes with me everywhere offices, home, travel... (I prefer to work from one main computer, less hassle syncing/juggling files.)

- MacBook Air
    Used as Netbook. Running OSX and Vista. Not used often since my work files are on the 15"

- 1 TB Time Capsule

- 1 TB Network Hard Drive

I'm looking for suggestions on how to 'centralize' my files for easy access and back up.

Questions:
    1. Central Hard Drive / Server
    I'd like to store and be able to work on/edit these files from one central hard drive. Also I'd like to be able to access that drive from any computer when traveling.

Suggestions on the best way to set that up?

2. In addition of how to set up a central hard drive, which hard drive should I use? The hard drive on my Mac Pro, the Time Capsule HD or the network attached HD, I also have USB 1TB Drives here as well.

Thank you.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

First off, how much data are we talking about here? If you're dealing with relatively small files, I'd just get a paid Dropbox subscription (50 or 100 GB) and forget about centralized home storage.

3. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

I'd say load your Mac Pro up with four 2 TB drives.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A NAS connected to your router is probably the easiest way, but since your MP is always on you could enable web access on it (password protected, of course) and drop your shared information into the web access area. That runs the risk of possibly allowing unwanted network traffic (i.e. break-in attempts) on your MP, but you wouldn't have to buy any additional hardware.

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks, NAS is what I've been considering.

If I had Network attached Storage set up could/should I work from the files on that hard drive leaving the hard drives on my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air basically empty. Sounds good as far as being organized goes, just seems odd not to use the hard drives on my computers for much. Or, perhaps I'm missing something.

Now if I have NAS attached to my Time Capsule router how could I stream movies, photo's from there to my TV wirelessly preferred, or wired if its that much more reliable. One option would be to run a mini display port to HDMI adapter and cable to my TV I suppose.

Lastly, what's the best way to access the files, movies, photo's on my NAS when traveling?

I've looked at Linksys Network Media Hub 1TB with LCD and also the Western Digital World Book HD network attached hard drive.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not necessarily empty, but include on the NAS files that you would want to access from (1) every computer in the house, and (2) from remote locations, when you're away from home.

In my case, my iTunes library and photos are stored there. Applications are still on each machine's hard disk. Items I aim to use only on one computer reside on that computer.

If you have a TC you should be able to accomplish this with the TC itself, or attach a USB drive to the TC and save some money. The NAS typically has its own operating system, etc. to make it run more or less stand-alone, and that makes it cost more.

To stream to your TV you would need a device that connects to your TV, like a Mac Mini or an Apple TV. You would wirelessly connect that device to your TC or NAS. I've never used an Apple TV but my understanding is that if your iTunes library resides on the network drive your ATV will access it and stream just fine.

Set up remote web access on your NAS, although I don't know whether a Time Capsule can do this. I'm using a Buffalo Linkstation Pro Duo which will allow remote access through the web.

7. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Thanks, that really helps. Your Buffalo Linkstation sounds pretty cool, similar to the Linksys Network Media Hub 1TB which our local Best Buy has in stock so I think I'll give it a try. It should do everything I want it to do, including internet access.

That's great! Thanks again.