Setting iTunes up on new Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tek210, Sep 9, 2011.

1. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I had an iMac that died about a year ago. Have been using my work Windows XP laptop as a syncing hub to my 250Gb external hard drive since. When I opened iTunes it sees the home sharing setup, laptop is running simultaneously. I authenticate to that but when I double click on any song it won't play. I even tried the play button and nothing.

Not sure why that would be happening, but my main goal is to migrate the music, apps, movies etc from the ext drive over to a new Mac Mini I got in today. With the 500 Gb hard drive I will not even have it half full so I want to just move it all over.

Also what is the best way to pull the video I have on my iPad and iPhone? Want to start doing some editing with FCP X. Want to set it up where that is backed up each time I sync. Don't think that was happening with the laptop setup.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Joe

2. tek210 thread starter macrumors regular

tek210

Also need to migrate the syncing of my iPhone and iPad. Assume they come over with the iTunes consolidation, but you never know.

3. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

You can use migration assistant to move your files over quite easily. (See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4413 for more info).

Once you have the files on your new computer, be sure to authorize your apple account in iTunes. Make a backup of your iPhone/iPad just in case something goes wrong. Copy over purchases if necessary, and then sync to the new library. It doesn't come automatically - you probably have to check some sort of box confirming that you want to sync it to the new computer, since everything will be replaced/changed to be like your new library.