Setting Mute as Boot Default

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dslynch, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dslynch macrumors newbie

Quick question...is there a way to set my macbook to always be set to MUTE when I boot it? This would be helpful at times like today...when I was at a sales meeting, and booted my laptop. I'd been jamming on itunes before I left to go to the sales meeting, so the volume was kinda loud. If I could set my mac to always be MUTED when I boot, this wouldn't happen.

And the reason I ask this is b/c I'm a recent convert to Mac's, and literally EVERYTHING I've asked about is able to be done. So I suspect there's a way to do this...

Thanks.

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/2721/os_x_disable_mac_startup_sound

there are ways.

but i dont know for what versions of OSX this works for.

edit - was last updated Jan '08, so we might assume it's good for Leopard...
    edit 2 - StartupSound.prefPane 1.1 It won't work only at the first startup after install on Leopard, and will work normally after that.

3. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked perfectly. Thank you.

Goddamn I love this mac....

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

It looks like you question has been answered, but if I may ask, why did you need to boot the laptop anyway? Just put it to sleep. No reason to turn it on and off, even for transport. Booting the machine uses more power, anyway.

5. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know...I guess that's a good question. I just always assumed that when I was going to not be using it for a period of time, say a couple of hours, or transporting it, I should shut it off. Maybe that's residual PC skills? When SHOULD I shut it off, vs. putting it to sleep?

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

When I put my Mac to sleep it can last for ages, and then it starts up SOOO fast :)

I restart/reboot about every two weeks, try that on a PC and see how it affects the speed!

7. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I only shut my Powerbook off when I'm going to be transporting it a LONG way (say, more than 500-1000 miles by car...) without using it, or if it's going to be shipped (haven't done that yet, though).

Occasionally I will shut it down to clean it, or of course when there are system updates it will require a reboot.

Otherwise, just sleep it. It works great, the Hard Disk heads are parked and locked, and it starts up instantly.

8. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you guys sure about this? For some reason, I don't know...I'll give it a try, though.

I also just bought time capsule tonight.

9. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Yeah, they are right.

Most Mac users only turn off their computers a handful of times a year.
    For some people, a handful of times in multiple years.

Just when you have to reboot for updates and software.

Pretty great isn't it? :D

10. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

Allright...I'll take the plunge. I setup a hotkey in Quicksilver to put it to sleep. You guys better not be lying.

11. skwij macrumors 6502

Don't worry, snoozing suits a Mac just fine.

Mine only get rebooted for software updates that require it. No issues at all.
    I don't use hotcorners or anything (they're all assigned a different purpose), just close the lid for travel, or let the macbook go to sleep on the coffee table.

When I reopen, it connects to whatever remembered wifi network is in my "remembered" list, and I'm off and running lickety-split.

12. dslynch thread starter macrumors newbie

So it doesn't even matter if I put my mac to sleep? I can just shut the lid, for god's sake??

13. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Pretty much, yes. When you close the lid, it will go to sleep after a few seconds.

Like others have said, an occasional reboot will be needed (software update, etc.), but most of the time just closing the lid and allowing your unit to sleep when not in use will be just fine.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yeah, you got too much Windows on the brain guy. Macs don't need 3rd party software to put them to sleep, they don't need shutting down for transport and they run exactly the same when you sleep them and wake them up. I've gone weeks and weeks just sleeping my Powerbook and it runs the same.

Just close the lid and it sleeps itself. Remember you really gotta throw away your Windows way of thinking.

One thing, if you are booted up to Windows (presuming you are using Bootcamp) then yes, treat it like a common Wintel PC, shut it down.

Edit: You can shut it down for long excursions such as traveling from state to state when you have no intention of using it for several days, it will conserve battery but that's about it. Sleeping it for long periods doesn't hurt performance like on Windows.

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

You must have different rules regarding airplanes in your country :)
    Where I come from, you have to shut down your computer before landing or take-off.

16. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Actually when I said that I was thinking of the car/bus/train, not the plane...

But in any case, if your laptop is asleep in the bag, who's going to know the difference? Those rules are for safetly/liability reasons, not because having the laptop on would do anything...so if you have it asleep, no reason to shut it down.