setting permissions for documents pulled from DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pna, Jun 26, 2008.

1. pna macrumors 6502

hey everyone,

I'm helping my mom move to a mac mini from her aged win2k box, and the only viable way for her to get her files from one to the other is to burn her My Documents folder from windows onto a DVD, and then have me copy files from the DVD to the mac. (Trust me, I know there are other, better ways to do this, this is the only one that can be done in this case).

The problem, of course, is that the permissions on documents from the DVD are all read-only, and I want them to be set to exactly what they should be as if she created them from scratch on her mac. Doing a batch chmod -R 755 on the folder didn't quite seem to set them properly, and I think it may have had to do with all of the ACL's and group settings. Does anyone know the command I should use from within a terminal to make that folder have the 'normal' permission set for her files?

Thanks for any advice.

2. pna thread starter macrumors 6502

3. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

When you copy the files off the DVD, I'm almost certain that the default mask is applied and you end up with the default permissions (644 and 755 for files and directories, respectively). As far as ACL's go, I usually blank them.