Setting preferences for spotlight search

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blow45, Apr 15, 2011.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

Any of you guys know how to change the defaults for spotlight search?

Namely:
    a. how can you switch the defaults, and say have it search by default within the folder (as opposed to the whole mac) and in the fine name and not the contents, say?
    b. how can you include a category for size, thats really important to me, when I search something I really like to have sizes as well so I can sort the results that.

Will some app like secrets do the trick, because I am quite sure you can't do it otherwise (command line excluded of course).

I would be pretty disappointed if there is NO option to tweak these, esp. the size thing...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't change the defaults from "This Mac" and "Contents", but it only takes two clicks of the mouse to select the folder name and "File Name". You also can't add columns to the search results, although you can include size in the search criteria. These are some of the weaknesses of Finder.

3. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for the reply (I mean it) but no thanks for the apparent condescending tone. I know it only takes a couple of clicks, wouldn't you think I would know that? But when 90% of my searches are in file names not contents I don't want to have to do that extra click every damn time.

Why would these be an untweakable finder weakness I wonder, if indeed there's no way on earth to tweak them...

I would think that they would be pretty simple to implement by apple as well...off to the apple feedback I guess. Sucks ... to not be able to at least sort a search by size and it makes no sense that you can't.

I am generally very tolerant with apple, because frankly they know how to do what they do pretty well, but I think this is a needless oversight that needs to change with lion. 2011 and you can't sort searches by size? Come on...

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There was absolutely nothing condescending in my post. I simply stated facts. There is no possible way for me to know what you do and do not know, so I made no assumption either way.

5. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

ok sorry if I took it the wrong way, it's just that I get a bit reactive in these forums what with the bad vide a lot of people have here to throw jabs instead of useful comments. my bad. :)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You have to assume a lot to think he was being condescending. He wasn’t even being close IMO.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, I tend to get a bit reactive myself, when I'm needlessly attacked by someone I'm trying to help. :rolleyes:

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

People mainly do that to lazy posters who won’t/refuse to search for something or for those posters who make new posts on stuff like “When will the iPhone 5 come out?,” which there are numerous threads already on these forums and we don’t really need a new thread.

9. blow45, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011

blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah, well I apologized, what do you want me to do, jesus...
    It's not my fault that the forums have so much low quality posting and aggravation, I am just a member here, I don't run the place.

I don't agree, if I ask someone I d like to do something in a x way (and I am aware most probably of an obvious y way available too) and they tell me you can't do it x way but why would you there's an element of condescension there obviously. Of course if the op didn't mean it, it merits an apology, and I apologized, although judging by his recent reply maybe he just does it unintentionally.

oh come on, don't give me this rubbish, in what way is my question an obvious one or a lazy one, where are the numerous threads on this? People are being (insert expletive) all the time here, it's the atmosphere unlike other forums. Maybe it's the kids, maybe its because there are too many people. The upside of course is that there are a lot of good posters too.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not asking you to do anything. I just pointed out that, like you, I get reactive when provoked.
    After you've read a few thousand threads in this forum, you'll realize that what seems obvious to some is not obvious to others. Without knowing someone, it's impossible to know in advance what their level of education or experience, including their Mac experience, may be.
    Re-read my post. I didn't say anything about "but why would you". I simply stated the facts and listed the only alternatives present with Finder. There's nothing condescending about that.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need to relax. I wasn’t talking about you. Read it again. Take the chip off your shoulder, as well. I was just explaining to a newer user why there are some nasty posters on MR. For the most part, it’s a good forum, and lest you think I’m not a “good” poster, read through my posts (although maybe not the last few weeks, since I’ve been a little more sarcastic than normal lately).

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yeah, but you're good at it! :D

13. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

oh come on, no one is buying it this time...and you accidentaly put the roll eyes next to that comment, sure... ::rolleyes:

see, I can do it too, but it's getting boring, surely this has evolved to the most moronic thread I've ever started and I take my fair share of the blame for that, but really if you don't feel like replying to someone then it's better not to do that than to do it with an attitude.

just put the big fat mroogle sig all over this forum (both of you) so people can search instead of ask, but if you are going to reply save us the backhanded compliments.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The IRS does that to me. :D

15. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

oh and you know me so well so know to suppose I have a chip, lol. :rolleyes:

for the later part of your post, points well taken. :)

I am with you on the irs thing too. ;)

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jeez guy. You wrote “ a lot of people have here to throw jabs instead of useful comments,” and I was just telling you why people do that. Why you took that personally is on you.

Was posting while you posted this. Perhaps we’re cool now. I can vouch for GGJstudios too. One of the more helpful posters here for Mac stuff.

BTW, the IRS has a wrong date for my birthday, so I was unable to freefile (make too much to exile). I was like WTF! Now “I” have to fix something that some govt idiot screwed up, since I’ve been filing for almost 30 years with no problem.

17. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah we 're cool, too bad I happen to work for the irs...:D just kidding.;)

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It appears from your attitude that someone in another thread got under your skin, so now you want to pass it on to others. You asked a question. I answered your question. I didn't criticize you for asking a question that has been asked many times before. I didn't even suggest searching. I answered your question. I did so without condescension or any emotional response whatsoever. You read things into my post that simply weren't there. I had no motivation or reason to have an emotional response. It was a legitimate question and I gave a legitimate answer. You displayed offense that I didn't read your mind and guess what you knew or didn't know. You've continued the same attitude to me and to aggie. It's really not a great idea to respond to forum members in this way. It makes people less motivated to respond when you ask for help.

19. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I am cool with aggie, but I am not cool with you man, but anyway forums are as such, misunderstanding happen. If you don't feel motivated to respond to me in the future that will be a secondary gain I guess. :cool: