iPhone Setting reset

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Astro321, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Astro321, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

Astro321 macrumors newbie

I'm having a peculiar little glitch or two in regards to ios8 running on iPhone. I am having an issue with my settings being reset several times a day. When I say "settings", I'm referring to wifi settings and custom setting such as various typing shortcuts and email settings that I cannot get rid of. I have typing shortcuts that I have deleted more time than I care to count, just for them to reappear an hour or so later. In the general-about area of my phone, I have had the same custom "name" for my phone for many years, now it constantly reverts back to simply saying "iphone" every since ios8 (several times daily) What's the issue here? This never happened before. (Icloud is off, it should not be updating and changing things constantly)

Oh yeah, the other issue involves imessage. If I try to send a multi media message while the recipient is trying to type, my message will hang indefinitely, forcing me to hard reset the phone to try again (hoping that the other person does not try to type anything during the transfer.

2. dcharleyultra, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Setting reset

I have found the best solution for fixing perplexing iphone issues is to:
    o make an encrypted iTunes backup (just in case)
    o use iTunes to restore the iPhone as new
    o manually install apps - don't restore from backup

Mind you, you will lose iMessage history. I also am having issues with my Photo Stream syncing already-existing photos from my other iDevices.

3. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

A lot of strange issues can be resolved with settings>reset>reset all settings. That keeps your data and apps intact. Will have to set up wall paper and other settings as well as any wifi networks but its a known fix for kooky issues. Also if that doesn't help, restore from iTunes letting it create a backup, then restore your backup. Then perform the "reset all settings". Again this will let you retain your data but will clear out any weird corruption. The "reset all" is a way you can restore a backup without putting back any issues that may be restored with the backup.

4. Astro321 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try what you guys have suggested, I appreciate the quick reply.

5. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

Setting reset

Actually, try the things in the third post, before mine in the second post.