Setting ringtone from music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sotorious, May 1, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

2. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

3. sotorious, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are you kidding? all that to set it as a ringtone....... looks like the .m4r is the main thing should i just rename that? instead of setting all the times? or would the phone only take so many seconds?

4. sadievan macrumors regular

I think 30 seconds is the limit. FWIW here is my method. It's really not hard.

HTH,
    Carol

Before adding your file to iTunes, go to 'Preferenced\Advanced' and make sure both 'Keep iTunes Media folder organized' AND 'copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library' are checked.

I usually don't make them longer than 30 seconds.

Step 1 Open iTunes.

Step 2 Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

Step 3 Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use. The chorus may be a good place to start.

Step 4 Write down the start and stop times of the clip.

Step 5 Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

Step 6 Click the "Options" tab.

Step 7 Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e., 2:01) format.

Step 8 Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 30 seconds long.

Step 9 Click "OK."

Step 10 Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC." Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

Step 11 Right click on your new duplicate version you just created and click on show in explorer.

Step 12 Change the extension to m4r you will get a warning message, just click OK.

Step 13 Drag this new m4r file into iTunes. It will automatically put it in the Ringtones folder.

Step 14 Delete the created m4a clip in iTunes. (Mine is usually still highlighted). You won't get a message asking if you want to move the file to the recycle bin since you changed the extension to m4r, the m4a file is no longer there.

Step 15 Remember to change the start and stop times in the original file to play the whole song.

These steps are for a Windows machine. As a side note, I usually click on the artist/album option of the song I want in the browser mode of iTunes. It makes it easier to see the selections and less crowded on the screen this way.

5. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ill give it a shot i hope they address with in ios 5.

6. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's what I do.

- Open Garage Band.
    - Drag your song into the queue.
    - Trim it down to the 25 - 30 seconds you want.
    - Click "Share" and "Send to iTunes as Ringtone".

Easy.

7. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

there is an option that says send to itunes as ringtone?

so it must be the m4v conversion which allows it.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

That's pretty much what I do but I use an application called Fission instead. It even has an "Export as Ringtone" option.

9. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

+1
    This is so easy to do, thank you. My wife is not going to like you, I see myself spending many hours making ringtones

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I am using iToner (Mac). It's very good because the dev updates it.

11. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

13. ayee007 macrumors member

can you direct me to a writeup on how to trim and set as ringtone? im brand new to garage band. thanks!

14. ayee007 macrumors member