Setting scratch disks to external on FCP problem

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pooman38, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pooman38 macrumors newbie

Hi there! First post in MacRumors. I love this site. Sorry for the inexperience. Simple question really...

I edit home videos as a hobby. I recently learned that it is best to have the media you are editing located on an external so your computer processing does not get bogged done. I was able to set the scratch disks and all on my external; however, I am quite mobile with my computer. Every time I eject my external, go to a new place, and sit down to edit again, I have to reconnect the media and reset the scratch disks. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions if I am going to be moving a lot? Is this impractical? Thank you!

-Josh-

2. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

As long as your external drive (your scratch disk) is mounted before you start FCP then it will automatically recognize it and connect all the files for you.

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yeah, are you ejecting your external disk while FCP is still running?

4. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Welcome to this forum poorman. The two posts you received should help.
    Now what version of FCP are you using.( I wish people would say what version they use).
    As you stated you move about. When you have finished editing for the day do you hide FCP or shut down?
    External drive just eject and plug in before starting computer.
    Editing video as a hobby is great fun. Wait till you pass the hobby stage, one's brain got other ideas.

5. pooman38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses! This forum is awesome. Sorry for not mentioning version - FCP7. I guess I am wondering what the proper process is every time I wrap up an editing session at home, pack up and move, and start somewhere else. Is this what I have to do when finishing:

1. Save and close FCP.
    2. Eject external.
    3. Pack up and move elsewhere.
    4. Plug external back in.
    5. Start FCP and edit.

I know this is really simple. Just want to make sure I'm doing it the easiest way! Also, my USB cable comes loose easily (I know - I will replace it soon). Just wondering . . . what should I do when the external does accidentally eject while I am in FCP and editing scratch on an external? All the media goes offline, so should I simply reconnect external and reconnect media? Or could this damage files? All in all, I will replace the cable, but I am just curious. Thank you!!

-Josh-

6. FroColin macrumors regular

That's a good question cause it used to terrify me when before I had all external drives, then I realized it was a piece of software not some fragile living creature and I pulled the plug. Anyway, it will just say "media not available" or something similar (I haven't used FCP in a while) and you won't be able to do anything (unless you render to a different disk and then you can watch all rendered media). Once you plug the harddive in you have to right click a clip and select "reconnect to media" or... something and just find it, it will default to the place it was and once you select it, all the other clips will figure it out, there may also be a way to do it in the menu where you don't have to find the clip(?) I don't really remember, I may be wrong about the details but that's the general idea, there is nothing at all to worry about. It's super easy to reconnect to your media.
    Also, I don't use FCP much anymore so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck!

7. pooman38 thread starter macrumors newbie

FroColin, thanks for your reply! I hope that is the case! I do not want to risk damaging files simply because of a bad cable.

8. pooman38 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm really kind of wondering if I really have to close the whole FCP project any time I unplug my external. Perhaps this is the only way, but you know how long it can take to close/open project files sometimes . . . Any suggestions?

9. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

Yes, you need to save your project then quit FCP before you eject your drive. Then before you ope up FCP again you gotta reconnect the the HDD and you'll be fine.

10. daybreak, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

daybreak macrumors 6502a

When you finished just Hide FCP7 don't shut down. Every time you shut down you are asked if you want to save each project you are working on.
    Use your main hard drive for editing and keep video files on your external H/Drive.
    I use to work with FCP7 but i find FCP-X much easier. I looks a bit like iMovie but trust me once you understand FCP-X it is more powerful.
    Please note not encouraging you to alter. It is what you are happy with.:rolleyes:

11. pooman38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm . . . but this still won't let me eject the external since FCP is still using it? I attached a screenshot of the error message. So I guess I do have to fully close the program then reboot if I move? Sorry - I know this is such noob talk. :eek:

Attached Files:

12. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Yes, save your project and fully close FCP before ejecting the drive. Hiding any program in OS X will only do just that: hide it. But the program is still "open" and running.

If you force eject while FCP is open, your media references will break (go offline) and you'll have to reconnect them again. If you reopen FCP after quitting and the drive(s) that the last open project(s) were using are no longer present (mounted), you'll get offline media warnings.

BTW, you shouldn't have to reboot if you want to reopen FCP to work again. You would just want to make sure that any external drives that your last open project was referencing are connected and mounted PRIOR to reopening FCP and everything should remain connected just fine. Make sense?