Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
iPhone 11 question ... and this will likely sound stupid ...

Given the design of the camera lenses on the back, is it safe to set your phone down on that side without a case? Are the lens surfaces protected at all by the outer rings, or are the lens surfaces literally sitting on whatever surface you set the phone down on?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
iPhone 11 question ... and this will likely sound stupid ...

Given the design of the camera lenses on the back, is it safe to set your phone down on that side without a case? Are the lens surfaces protected at all by the outer rings, or are the lens surfaces literally sitting on whatever surface you set the phone down on?
It depends on the surface. On a wood table or grass or a sofa.. I just sit it down on the camera. With something like concrete then I will put the phone in my pocket or find something softer. I’ve never liked cases and haven’t been using a case since I got my 4S years ago.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It depends on the surface. On a wood table or grass or a sofa.. I just sit it down on the camera. With something like concrete then I will put the phone in my pocket or find something softer. I’ve never liked cases and haven’t been using a case since I got my 4S years ago.

Yep same here. Just being mindful helps.

Reactions: revmacian

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
when I'm at home setting it down on my desk or kitchen counter, I carefully put it down. If I'm out at a restaurant or out and about, since I typically take both my wallet and phone out of my pockets, I just place the lens portion of the phone on my wallet. I do have a case but it's a super slim case and the lip protection on the lens portion is minimal.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011

Makes sense. But just to confirm, those lenses are NOT immune to scratching and damage (?). I ask this because I think most people tend to forget about the camera lenses! I think most people get caught up worrying more about the front screen

But I’d like to go case-less ... that’s why I asked. Like you said, though, you do have to pay attention to the surface you’re setting it down on (common sense).

I’m currently using the Apple Clear Case, and I find that my phone is more slippery with this case on than without (oddly enough).

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Makes sense. But just to confirm, those lenses are NOT immune to scratching and damage (?). I ask this because I think most people tend to forget about the camera lenses! I think most people get caught up worrying more about the front screen

But I’d like to go case-less ... that’s why I asked. Like you said, though, you do have to pay attention to the surface you’re setting it down on (common sense).

I’m currently using the Apple Clear Case, and I find that my phone is more slippery with this case on than without (oddly enough).
I just checked all three of my devices and I don’t see any kind of scratch or blemish on the cameras or front screen. The camera lenses are not immune, no, but if you’re careful with it I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
I just place it down carefully and be mindful of where I am putting it. On my desk, I usually out it on a notebook or something instead of directly on the surface. Not sure if that makes a difference anyways.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The camera lenses have a sapphire coating, so they don't scratch that easily. Never used a case and put my iPhone on different surfaces and nit a single tiny scratch on the camera lens (at least, since Apple is using the sapphire)

Reactions: CrimsonKnight

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I thought the lenses of the camera were coated with sapphire glass (or equivalent) so scratches are very unlikely.

I guess I posted this at the same time as Mr.Blacky

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
The camera lenses have a sapphire coating, so they don't scratch that easily. Never used a case and put my iPhone on different surfaces and nit a single tiny scratch on the camera lens (at least, since Apple is using the sapphire)

I thought the lenses of the camera were coated with sapphire glass (or equivalent) so scratches are very unlikely.

I guess I posted this at the same time as Mr.Blacky

It’s not exactly sapphire. It’s some sort of blend.

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
I thought the glass on the iPhone XR was ion-X rather than sapphire. Doesn’t really matter what it’s made of, materials are no excuse to treat my device with anything but the highest care.

Reactions: djr7572

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
It’s not exactly sapphire. It’s some sort of blend.
Yeah, but ma phones always had a good amount of small hairline scratches on the back after time, while the camera lenses didn't even have a single tiny one, so...?‍♂️

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yeah, but ma phones always had a good amount of small hairline scratches on the back after time, while the camera lenses didn't even have a single tiny one, so...

The camera doesn’t really rest flat on the surface, probably that’s the reason it never got scratched. I’ve never scratched either the back or the front of my phones without any case or screen protectors. Probably the way one handles the device.

Reactions: revmacian

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
The camera doesn’t really rest flat on the surface, probably that’s the reason it never got scratched. I’ve never scratched either the back or the front of my phones without any case or screen protectors. Probably the way one handles the device.
No, they never got scratched, because they are pretty scratch resistant under normal circumstances.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
This is why I like a slip case. Not only does in protect from scratches when in a pocket it also acts as a cushion to place the phone on a surface.
[automerge]1571657364[/automerge]
The Camera lens covers are sapphire crystal. No mix no hybrid. Sapphire crystal. At least according to the tech specs on Apple.com.
I thought when tested this was found to not be pure sapphire?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
This is why I like a slip case. Not only does in protect from scratches when in a pocket it also acts as a cushion to place the phone on a surface.
[automerge]1571657364[/automerge]

I thought when tested this was found to not be pure sapphire?

Yep I’m a supporter of such cases as well.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
I've never used any of my iPhones without cases - I'm currently in my second year with my iPhone XS (didn't upgrade to the 11) and often wondered if I should go caseless. Whenever I remove the phone from the case, it is beautiful but it the glass back is just a fingerprint magnet!!! How do you guys manage to go without cases bearing mind how many fingerprints the naked iPhone is prone too...?!!!!

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I've never used any of my iPhones without cases - I'm currently in my second year with my iPhone XS (didn't upgrade to the 11) and often wondered if I should go caseless. Whenever I remove the phone from the case, it is beautiful but it the glass back is just a fingerprint magnet!!! How do you guys manage to go without cases bearing mind how many fingerprints the naked iPhone is prone too...?!!!!

I wipe it down on my jeans.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I think most people get caught up worrying more about the front screen
I don’t know about that either - look at all the reviewers who place their phone upside down in their videos. Always makes me cringe.

It’s why my (minimalist) case has to have a front & black lip to protect all glass surfaces.

The Camera lens covers are sapphire crystal. No mix no hybrid. Sapphire crystal. At least according to the tech specs on Apple.com.
I thought Jerry Rig Everything exposes iPhones to have a sapphire mix & not pure sapphire on the iPhone camera lens? At least on prior iPhones (not sure of the 11).

Reactions: DevinNj

Gitica23

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Camera lens are not from Sapphire crystal!! It scratches at level 6, not at level 9, Mohs scale.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Does anyone know if the Apple silicone case has a lip on the back (in referencing to sitting the phone down camera side down)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.