Setting to prevent screen from turning OFF?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kerosene, Apr 9, 2015.

1. kerosene macrumors regular

Is there a user setting that prevents the screen from turning off?

IMHO the AW would make a nice watch if only the screen stayed illuminated - time and 'complications' would be enough, all other functions could be switched off to preserve battery life.

Is it possible?

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Someone will jailbreak it ... but honestly why would you want to. You would get like 2 hours of battery lol

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it would be a bad idea.

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

NO.

The battery will last only one hour in always-on, full brightness mode.

5. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

Sorry, but this sounds like a terrible idea. Seriously, this would nuke the battery. And why keep it on when it's not in use? Is your iPhone always on? :)

6. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

An hour only, with all other functions switched off? Not even enough to last through a longer meeting...

A conventional watch lets you discreetly glance for the time without moving your arm, but if true that it can't be set that way, the Apple Watch won't. It would be super rude to raise your arm during a meeting in that slightly exaggerated way that's required to turn on the screen just to get the time.

You'd be instantly signalling 'I'm done here'.

Unless, of course, the impact of the Apple Watch on society is that large that it will become widely accepted to do this. But not so soon I think.

7. AaronChicago macrumors member

I have to agree. It would be nice to at least have the option. It's different than having your iPhone on all the time. It's usually in a pocket.

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Yep. That's why I'm back to my cheap quartz.

9. kerosene, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015

kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

If it's not able to give me the time discreetly, it won't get my wristspace, and Apple my money.

Would have thought that it was one of their declared goals to make this a great watch in the first place? As it is EDIT: If true that no 'always on' option exists, it's not and worse than the cheapest conventional one.

Really strange they would not have included a watch's essential functionality, for example with screen dimmed to max, all other functions off, turning bright only when lifted.

10. AaronChicago macrumors member

Are we positive that it doesn't have the option. I have yet to see for sure either way.

11. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, have taken for fact what I got back here, but I don't know. Will edit that post.

12. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

NONE of the reviews mentioned ambient mode, but many struggled to activate the screen consistently.

13. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I think it would be cool if the watch could display a simple clock face with the backlight off when not in use.

14. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Leaving it on might be out of the question because of battery, but there should at least be a sensitive setting. I'd like to be able to choose between having it turn on two slow and false positives with a shorter battery.

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Yeah that would be interesting. I wonder how sensitive it is at default. Like if you're sitting at a desk doing whatever and you want to glance at the time- do you need to exaggerate the movement or simply twist your wrist a little?

16. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Some reviewers said they had to shake their wrists at times to get it to activate, like in the case where they were typing and their wrist was already faced up and they wanted to activate the watch.

17. AaronChicago macrumors member

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. Hoping to get a try on appt during the day.

18. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Let us know! Thanks!

19. johnnyapples33d macrumors member

Someone back me up here, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that if you touch the button by the digital crown the clock would appear..

20. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Yes. The lift wrist to turn on is the one handed version. I think if you touch screen or either of the buttons it will illuminate for 17 seconds.