Setting to request permission to access computer over LAN?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mlansdell, Nov 11, 2009.

1. mlansdell macrumors newbie

This is a frequent problem, one that should be completely solvable by me asking people on my works LAN to disconnect from my computer before restarting. However, it's not...

I work as an editor with FCP, and I often find that if someone restarts or turns off their computer whilst connected to mine I can't save my project. Not with a different name, not by copying the timeline into a new project, nothing. So, what I want is to know if there is a way of setting up my network settings so that if someone wants to connect to my computer at all, it asks my permission. I'm still on 10.4, I'm afraid, but if someone does know then they'll have saved me countless more wasted afternoons...

Many thanks,

Michael

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The first question i have is: Why are they connecting to your computer? And how are they doing it. AFP, SMB, etc.

As far as permission to access. The permission is granted on the client end when the enter proper credentials.

You could run something like Little Snitch, which luckily runs on 10.4, and it will monitor your incoming and outgoing connections. With it, *I think* you can set it up to ask you every time a certain connection comes in.

My only apprehension lies in the answer to the first question. If people need to get to your machine, you would blocking them out.

I think it would be a good idea to find out why this is happening as opposed to locking people out. Of course, this could simply be an issue in 10.4.

If you could give some more details I can do some research to see what I can find.

3. mlansdell thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the computers in our building are on the LAN, and show up in the finder window. People need to be connected so they can send me video files, etc... The problem is when they are actively connected to a drive and don't disconnect before restarting/shutting down.

The problem is that these people do need to have access to my computer, I just want to be able to monitor who does so I can shout at them if something goes wrong. I lost an afternoons work today, it's happened before and it'll happen again unless I can do something to prevent it!

I'll check out Little Snitch, thank you for your help so far :eek:)