Setting up 2 Dell Monitors with the new MacBook Pro 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMac1996, Dec 6, 2016.

1. JMac1996 macrumors regular

JMac1996

Hello Guys,

I ran into a Problem.
    I want to hook up 2 Dell 27" Monitors t o my new MacBook Pro.
    The monitors support Daisy chain, so I was aiming for a "one cable solution".
    Sadly I wasn't able to find a proper Adapter to hook up a DisplayPort cable to my MacBook Pro.

Also the Microsoft Lumia Dock didn't worked out for me. I send it back, cause the Macbook didn't recognized the Video outs from the adapter.

Can someone help me out with a solution? How do you guys hook up older Monitors to new MacBooks?
    I really don't have the money to go for new USB C Displays.

Thanks

2. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

Tried simple USB-C to DisplayPort cable?

I am using StarTech USB-C to DisplayPort cable without any problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EZH7CKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. JMac1996 thread starter macrumors regular

JMac1996

Thanks for replying back. I had a look, but since there were no ratings I didn't trust it. If this works, it would be perfect.
    Maybe a bit short with 1,8m but if it works... o_O I'm going to order one and give it a try. Thanks

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Chiming in a bit late here with no Mac experience but with PC experience using a different brand (http://www.accellcables.com/collections/cables/products/usb-c-to-displayport-cable) with 2 PCs powering 2 Dell displays each. I'm a former user of StarTech cables and current user of Eizo and Accell DP cables.

FWIW, I largely ignore Amazon ratings for this kind of stuff. My main source of info for DP-related items is the DisplayPort.org product portal. The pros for most StarTech DP cables is that they're certified (as are the Eizo/Accell cables). My knock on the StarTech DP cables is they did not disclose the actual throughput per channel as Eizo and Accell do on their product pages; I found my Dell and BenQ displays to be laggy with the StarTech cables - they were swapped out for the Accell DP 1.2-compliant cables that were specced out to 2160p.

I tried the new StarTech cable on one of our PCs and compared it to the second PC with the Accell cables (both the 1.8m cable length) and the difference in response time remains. StarTech makes a compliant product, but they still don't spec out the throughput for this new cable. I sent them back to Amazon, and there's Accell cables on that second PC now. Accell specs out the full 5.4Gbps per lane (21.6Gbps total) that I'm looking for, with a 2-year warranty (not always a given here in the US...).