setting up 5.1 on mbp on windows 7 partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yehgermeister, Aug 14, 2009.

1. yehgermeister macrumors newbie

^as title states.

i'm using logitech z-5500 speakers via optical on my os x partition. works perfectly. get perfect 5.1 surround sound.

on windows 7, i'm a little confused. not exactly sure how to set it up. they work fine (hear sounds through all the speakers), but when i play half-life 2 or other valve games, the games only allow me or "sees" that i'm using a 2 speaker set up when i really have 5. i want surround sound for my games. any ideas?

oh yes, i'm using a early '08 15 inch mbp.

2. DataCabbitKSW macrumors newbie

It works pretty similar to how it does under Vista, only a little snazzier. Basic process is that you have to set it up to be defaulted as 5.1 speaker set-up. Right Click on your sound bar icon in the system tray, then choose "Playback Devices." This will bring up the sound control panel and all your output devices. You will probably be using "Digital Output Device (SPDIF)" if you are using the optical out. Right-Click and choose to configure speakers. Also make sure it is set as the default device. Some games don't work well with SPDIF out, since by spec SPDIF only sends stereo raw, or multichannel via encoded (like DTS) signal. So you may want to choose the properties on the device and check what encodings are enabled under "Supported Formats". After making any of these changes, you may need to close and restart whatever application you are using for testing (in this case: HL2). You could also try posting your information over to the official Windows 7 RC Support Forum located here http://tinyurl.com/9fhdl5 . They may have a quicker or more specific answer for you.