setting up a 2nd account in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Jan 28, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I already have Mail setup (in Yosemite) with a mail account, i want to change that account with a different one and along keep some of the email msgs i have. I want to ask how do i do all this cause I’m afraid i might loose data?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You won't lose anything. You can have many email accounts setup at the same time.

Just add the second account and (presuming you don't want to receive new mail on the existing account) disable the existing account:

Mail menu > Preferences: Accounts

To add an account, click the '+' in the lower left corner of the preferences pane and follow the setup screens.

If you no longer want to receive mail on the current account, click on that account in the left-hand column, click on the Account Information tab to the right, and de-select 'Enable this account' towards the upper-right. The existing mailboxes will remain.

3. zoran, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I dont understand where that is.... oh ok i got it!
    Suppose i disable one of the two accounts do i loose the incoming emails of my inbox and if i enable it back again some time later on, do i still see the old inbox?

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

When you disable an account, you stop receiving and sending mail, but the existing contents of mailboxes do not change - whatever was there before you disabled the account will be there after you disable it.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Just don't DELETE an old account, otherwise you will lose all the emails associated with it.

6. zoran, Jan 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015

zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

How do i post a signature that contains a photo?

And how do i place an image file on the text body of the email and how do i make it look as an attached file?