Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dapperad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Hello all:

I'm overhauling my office machines and network. We do graphic design and marketing. For four of us, am purchasing 3 Powermac G5s, 1 Powerbook G4, and will set up a central server that we will all work from. We'll be setting up a wireless connection in our new office.

Re: the server . . . what are the crucial things to consider? Do I have to buy another G5 or can an older iMac G4 do the trick? I guess what I'm asking is, is it more the processor speed of the server or the speed of the wireless connection that will limit me?

I've set up a system like this before but we went over gigabit ethernet. Don't know much about wireless yet. Is it just as fast?

Thanks for your comments --

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
The limit will definately be the wireless connection. If you can, and when you use a lot of datatransfer, invest in a gigabit network. All your machines have gigabit ethernet. I know, it's not as beautifull and cool as wireless, but it is much faster and more functional. If it's a new building, or a empty room that still has to be setup/decorated, pull the networkcables through the wall with your electricity sockets. Offcourse you can also connect an Airport to the network for laptops, that's always usefull. As for the server, a G4 will do nicely, but max it out with Ram and enough storage space. Don't forget to make a backup, at least once a week.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Re: the server . . . what are the crucial things to consider? Do I have to buy another G5 or can an older iMac G4 do the trick? I guess what I'm asking is, is it more the processor speed of the server or the speed of the wireless connection that will limit me?

With only four machines, I'm certain an iMac G4 will be more than adequate as a file server (unless you're transfering really big files often, requiring gigabit ethernet). In this case, OS X Panther or Tiger client would work well.

In your situation, I would use an 802.11g wireless router connected to your internet connection (for use with your G5s and PowerBook), and hard-wire the iMac into the router. That way, you'll have maximum available bandwidth running between your router and the iMac (100 Mb/sec)

If you want gigabit ethernet running to your file server, you'll need to find something better than an imac G4. Gigabit ethernet runs at 1000 Mb/sec, while the iMac's ethernet runs at 100 Mb/sec.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
aquajet said:
Gigabit ethernet runs at 1000 Mb/sec

That is about 125 MB per second (don't forget 8 bits are 1 Byte), so your wired network will go 125 MB per second, wireless will go a bit less then 8 MB per second (54Mb/8) and then it also has a lot of overhead, like encrypting and such, which is about 20% of the speed, so you have about roughly 6 MB per second with wireless :eek:

Also I wouldn't use an iMac for the server, It's limited with one (mostly small) harddrive and it only has 100 Mb ethernet, slowing down your network. Also getting a lot of datatransfer and thus heating up. I thought you mentioned a PM G4 for server, that would do nicely for a server. You can upgrade and expand it easily. Especially an old dual would do nicely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.