Setting up a borrowed Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RcNorth, Aug 15, 2010.

1. RcNorth macrumors newbie

A friend is lending me his 32Gb ipod Touch to take on a trip. the Touch is for my daughter to use during the flights etc. to make everyone's travel more enjoyable.

I have an iPhone already with some apps on it that my daughter likes to use.

I would like to attach the Touch to the same computer as I sync my iPhone with to be able to put some apps, movies and music onto the Touch.

When I try to sync I keep getting a warning about backing up the apps that are on the Touch, which I say no to. It says it is syncing, but when it is all done, all his apps are still on it, with the new apps I added but no music or videos.

I thought about restoring it, but it is currently running 3.1.2 and I don't want to take it to 4.0.2 and take away his option for jailbreaking.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Assuming your friend has a backup, which he should be maintaining whether he's lending it out or not, on the iPod touch, navigate to Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings. It may take a while, especially if its not the Late 2009/3rd gen model with the hardware encryption which allow for a quicker erase. But that will leave the iOS intact, without restoring, and allow you to sync over your iTunes content for your daughter's enjoyment. When your friend takes it back then he can restore it from his most recent backup and be back where he was before he lent it to your family.