Setting up a complete system, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by entatlrg, Mar 5, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum, mod's please delete

2. cricketbird macrumors member

For the Publisher equivalent, Pages has a lot of options and is easy to use. I have only briefly used Publisher, but I believe it contains a larger set of templates that Pages, but Pages includes most of the basic stuff you need. Take a look at the Apple store or somewhere and see what you think about the differences.

I'd go with a iMac (or Mac Mini if you already have a nice monitor) for home, and two MBs (or MBAs) for you and your wife. Alternatively, you could just go with the two laptops for you and wife, and get a Time Capsule for backup and storage and skip the desktop altogether. You can download stuff at night when your laptop is at home. Large files, music and movies can be stored on the Time Capsule and shared between you and your wife.

If you really need to run Publisher, you can either run Bootcamp (boot into Windows by restarting your Mac in Windows mode) for free, or purchase Fusion or Parallels to run Windows (and Windows software) at the same time as your Mac applications. Any method will require you to have a licensed copy of Windows and whatever Windows software you want to run.