Setting up a computer speaker's for Airplay?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bvp663, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bvp663 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to make my computer's speakers show up as remote speakers in iTunes or AirPlay? I have a mac mini in the living room with some nice speakers attached to it. I'd love to easily play music from my laptop to those speakers. The easiest solution would be an Airport Express, but I'm wondering if there are less expensive and higher-quality hardware or software solutions out there. Preferably something that would trick the system into seeing the speakers attached to the mac mini as "Airport/AirPlay" speakers.

Any suggestions?

2. johnnyha macrumors newbie

Your best bet is to run iTunes from your mini, and share the HD on your laptop so that the mini can recognise it as a wireless HD. You can use a touch, iPad or iPhone as a remote for the mini, using Apple's own remote app.

One further option (a bit more flexible as it would mean you wouldn't need both mini and laptop turned on at once) would be to buy an external HD, and make that a network share, then put all your music on that. This way both laptop and mini can access your music independently of one another, though you would still need some form of controller/interface for the mini.

Techradar have an article reviewing HDs which you can read at http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...-1tb-external-hard-drives-for-your-mac-908666