Setting up a dedicated 5ghz network?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whodatrr, Nov 17, 2014.

1. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Saw a few threads on this, but they were fairly old, and somewhat scattered...

Is anyone else choosing to setup dedicated 5ghz networks? I have two new TCs, and one new APE (all 802.11ac). I'm finding that most of my devices (MBA, Win/Phones/iPads) keep preferring to use lower bandwidth networks, when given the option. I've run some speed tests, and will always get much better performance (~3-4x), when in 5ghz/ac. Yet these devices aren't choosing to use that band/spec. Since setting up a separate 5ghz net and forcing my 802.11ac devices to use that one, I'm getting much better bandwidth.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience? My clients almost always chose 2.4n, even when they were a few feet from the nearest router...

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My 5ghz network as a different SSID - my 2.4 SSID appended with 5ghz. In network preferences, go into Advanced settings for the wireless connection and drag the networks to the order you prefer. My 5ghz network is at the top and my 2.4 is at the bottom. Always connects to the 5ghz.