Setting up a design company...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tomoisyourgod, Dec 9, 2007.

1. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

I've been doing extensive research into various other web design company's in my local area. I've noticed a very high proportion of them use Microsoft's .NET along with the whole Visual Basic 'programming language'... (doesn't the B stand for 'Beginners'?)

I myself program all my websites in PHP, looking into Coldfusion and Ruby on Rails as well...

I was wondering why a higher proportion of these web design companies use all .NET stuff - is it better than PHP or what???

2. werther macrumors regular

I wouldn't say .net is better, actually I wouldn't know because I've never used it. From a developer standpoint I imagine it depends more on the developer and his/her understanding of the language he is using. From a business standpoint I guess to some, being that .net is a microsoft product and we all know microsoft knows business:rolleyes:; the business' will trust a well established corporate backed product more than an open source product.

-this perception is changing, however in my neck of the woods it will take a while.

3. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

php is a very powerful language, but the syntax is a little weird compared to C++ and Java.
    if you are just starting out PHP would be great, there is a very large community behind it.