Setting up a HD and Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skeeternj, Feb 25, 2010.

1. skeeternj macrumors newbie

Hi I have been reading these forums alot in the last couple months. So much good info. Now I have a few question that I couldn't really get a good answer.

My desktop is an Imac 2.16 2GBram 500gb HD. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard. Before this I was using a HD that I had on a PC(never knew they had a different format, til I saw it on here) the stored all my stuff. Mostly photos 12,000+ also some projects. Not a good backup plan at all. Fast forward to the last week.So I got a AirportExtreme, got that up and running no problem. Now i got a new HD(fantom 1tb) before I installed the Snow leopard, and used NTI shadow to backup the computer.

1--Now I want to be able to use the HD for TimeMachine backups and storing photos. Do partion the drive in to equal drives or get a second one for the photos and soon more video?Do I clear the HD before setting up TM backups?
    2-- Will I be able the access the HD over the AirportExterme to get info and photos to work on the MBP?
    Will be getting into more video editing in the near future so I would like to get setup right for this I have look at a lot of forums and sound like the video editing needs its own HD for the storage.
    Thanks for any help and advice. This is all new territory for me.
    Brian

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Video editing would require a much faster transfer rate than can be achieved using USB and the AirPort Extreme. FireWire is preferable to USB, so if your current hard drive isn't FireWire capable, I'd suggest getting one that is and connecting that to your computer.

I would also suggest partitioning the drive that is being used for Time Machine, as TM will eat up all hard drive space until the disk is full (assuming you'll be using this for more than just Time Machine backups).

Lastly, connecting the drive to the Extreme is a very simple process (done in AirPort Utility using the Disks tab) and will allow you to share data with any computer on your network. Also, you do not need to reformat the disk so long as it's HFS+ already.