Setting up a Home Network using OS X Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by bdphifer, Nov 6, 2015.

1. bdphifer macrumors newbie

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before, but I can't find an answer (maybe it's too simple!! ;) )

If I set up a server using OS X server, can I have users on the server that I can access on multiple machines?

I have an iMac and a MacBook currently, and on the iMac I have a user for everyone in my family. On the MacBook, I only have one user. If I set up a server, can I have the user information there, so that each person will be able to have the same setup regardless of which machine they are using? I am thinking mainly about documents, email, iDevices, sharing media, backup, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a Mac mini, sticking it in a corner without a monitor with several hard drives attached to it with media and backup, and mainly controlling it thru the iMac.

Thanks in advance!

2. Hrhnick macrumors member

I personally considered this, but the headache of setting up network/roaming profiles and out of sync info if i signed in outside the network on my macbook made me rethink it. Too much of a headache for my small home case.

I'm currently happy with iCloud syncing/iCloud Drive/iCloud Photo Library/iTunes Match to keep info and documents synced between computers. As far as media, I do keep movies on an older mac mini. I use Home Sharing to access them from any any Apple TV/Computer in the house.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

This is what's known as mobile accounts, or portable home directories, and it's broken with every version of OS X after 10.9.5. Unfortunately what you want to do is simply not reliable anymore. It's always had some issues in OS X but with 10.10 and later, it really doesn't work properly at all.

4. hobowankenobi macrumors regular

Have not used it beyond 10.9...but I suggest it is more work than it is worth for such a small setup, even if it wasn't broken.

I would investigate iCloud first.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

I concur that even if it were totally functional, it's far more work than it's worth to implement in a small home network.