Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NemoNeem1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I have an old router that belonged to my gmom and the router has a password and everything. I attached the ethernet cable to my Mac, and the router read but I typed in the password and it wasn't long enough, so it won't connect. I am guessing I have to log into the router and change the password?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I would just reset the router to factory defaults and start over. With the router on and no ethernet cables plugged in, press the reset button on the back for about ten seconds. You should see all the lights flash and the router will restart.

After the router restarts connect it to your computer and modem (cable/dsl) as you normally would then go to http://192.168.1.1/ in a web browser. This should get you the default setup page where you can name the wireless network and setup a new password.

NemoNeem1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
So once the router resets, and it's plugged in, even tho I won't have a connection, just open my browser and enter that address?

NemoNeem1221

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I've done all that, and it still won't connect to the internet. I get a signal, but nothing shows up when I open the browser.

1. I reset the router, plugging it into my Mac with an eternet cable.

2. Went to 192.168.1.1 and did all the settings.

3. Network was set up, Airport reads connection, but still nothing.

I also don't have a modem. My landlord has Comcast internet, and other connections can read, but when I log into them, I can't open any webpages.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've done all that, and it still won't connect to the internet. I get a signal, but nothing shows up when I open the browser.

1. I reset the router, plugging it into my Mac with an eternet cable.

2. Went to 192.168.1.1 and did all the settings.

3. Network was set up, Airport reads connection, but still nothing.

I also don't have a modem. My landlord has Comcast internet, and other connections can read, but when I log into them, I can't open any webpages.

I'm not following. If you don't have a modem, how are you connecting to your landlord's Comcast service with the Linksys? Where are you connecting the WAN port on the Linksys (this would normally go to the cable modem)?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Yes, color me confused too. What are you connecting the router in to if not a provided modem?

Otherwise it could still be a configuration issue but let's answer the other question first. :)

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I'm trying to read between the lines, but from what you said, your landlord has the internet connection with his own cable modem and router, and is distributing the internet connection. To test this, connect the internet LAN connection directly to your Mac, with it's IP set to DHCP. If this works, you'll have to set up your router as a bridge. You don't want to keep your Mac directly connected to the landlord's network, as it will be exposed to other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.